Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-27-2005, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

First Post. Just a quick intro...+ a question

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for a month or more, just registered a few days ago.
I had a very small lawn maintenance business near Fredericksburg, VA for about 3 years. It was strictly a sideline, never planned for fulltime. I never left the confines of the 2600-home subdivision. I ran about 6 weekly customers, plus numerous one-shots for resales of vacation properties in addition to the related clean-up and haul-off jobs.

In January of 2000, my wife was diagnosed with adinocarcinoma of the liver
and given 6-12 months. She passed away in March of 2000 at 33 yrs of age. I ceased operation, sold all equipment except my open trailer, rented out the house, and moved to a townhouse in Northern , VA.

Now the point of this long diatribe--- Five years and a new wife later, I am ready to start cutting grass again....I miss it !!! So.... I'm going to start looking to re-equip for next season, still as a sideline.... Don't you LCO's get your panties in a wad. I only want 8-10 residential customers + the one-shots I pick up. I am a Construction Manager for a homebuilder, so I have a good realtor base for the one-shots. I will not be a "scrub" , just a quality-conscious professional on a minor scale.

My plans include a 36WB, 52/60 ZTR ,associated bag/mulch acc/blades, trimmer, edger, blower. I still have the trailer, all the hand tools, fuel jugs, and a few small pieces of hand-held equipment. I plan on buying the mowers used, looking this fall for reasonable purchaes. I am budgeting $10K for startup costs including equip. and insurance. Does this sound reasonable ? I am really out of touch with today's market, but with the grace of God and the wealth of knowledge on this forum, I should be up to speed and rarin' to go by January....
Old 07-19-2005, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

$10k is do able if you have a truck to haul everything around.

Sorry to hear about your wife
Old 07-19-2005, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply... I am on the way... 52" Hydro W/B w/ velke x2, 33" belt drive W/B, FS80, BR420 , less than 3K invested.

I already had the truck and trailer.

My only worry is the TT hydro... hi hours ( 1300 +), will have to really watch the maintenance.. if the pumps and wheel motors give me two seasons, I'll be in good shape.

CLH