Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-19-2005, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks again

thanks for the replay. really helpful. I have a friend that is wanting to buy into the business from start up. I don't really want to do that because of all the reasons you mentioned, the only advantage is that this person could bring a good amount of money to buy into the business. One more problem is that although this person has more money than me, I hold all the knowledge and experience with mowing and the industry. I have a 2 year degree in golf course management, and a degree in Marketing and Business management, I hold all the knowledge and experience, he has money to invest. Thanks again for the replay back. I Like the enzo quote.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember that freindships end where business starts. You have to do what is in the best interest of the business. Are you going to incoporate?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

what he said!

Friendships are friendships, business is business, keep em separate or you may lose both.

If you can both co-exist as friends and business co-owners...You would really have to point out, probably legally, that your expertise, skill, and knowledge level is indeed worth every bit as much as the money he may invest in the business (to a point). You may have to agree...legally...how much your knowledge, skill, and expertise is worth monitarily as well as the existing value of the business before he were to join you.
2-05 Toro proline 21 inch commercials
1-toro self propelled lawn vac
2-05 shindawa string trimmers
1-05 2510 shindawa gas combo,edger, string trimmer , pole saw, hedge trimmer, rotary brush.
1-05 shindawa 30 inch hedge trimmer
1 echo 16" chain saw
1-echo backpack blower
1-john deere gas blower
1 shindawa blower
1 lesco 80 lb spreader
1-maclean edger
2-solo backpack sprayers
Old 07-21-2005, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesota mower
this site rules!!! Thank you guys for the helpful tips when estimating, I see everyones opinions vary when it comes to pricing, but everyone sounds like their estimates are really close with what i was estimating.

Just one more question. what are people charging for commercial properties 1 acre or bigger, with the usual weed whipping aroung the perimeter of the building?

Also, does anyone have an idea how many accounts a company would need to be able to hire on a fulltime employee? I would say 50 or so accounts would be a good flow of business for one person small/larger residential accounts, but would that mean i have to take on more than 100 accounts per week, is that even possible for two guys with large walk behind mowers?
Two guys can average two properties per hour if scheduled correctly (allowing for drive time). Take that and times it by the hours you work and how many days a week you average working and that should give you your answer.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks

good advice from all. I have set the company up under my name as a limited liability corp. I have set it up so if he becomes serious i will plan on offering him the option to buy in, which of course i would add extra for my time/effort/experience.