Register free!

Old 03-11-2001, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trying to get more of a standard in pricing my weed control for beds, walks and driveways etc. Let me run this by you and see what ya'll think. First off I use a pump sprayer hand held or back pack depending on how big the job. I use a liquid concentrate "Glyphosate" I can mix about 10.5 gallons with a cost of $18.00. Was thinking of charging $19-$22 per gallon applied. Again this is not applying it to the lawn it's spot treating large beds etc. which I have a lot of request for during the year.
Do those per gallon figures sound about right to you? My main goal I guess is to reach more of a pricing standard when it comes time to apply these chemicals. Would you go higher or lower? Thanks
Raymond
Old 03-11-2001, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Unless you have a lot of big beds I wouldn't charge by the gallon,but rather by sq. ft and your knowledge of what you have done over the years.
I usually add this cost as it occurs and it is usually (if I really checked ) more than $25.00 per gal.
It is more in the range of $15-$25 per app. done at time of reg. serv.and I very rarley spray more than 1/2 gal.
I know this is pretty unofficial but it works for me
Dennis
Old 03-12-2001, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think a sq.ft. rate would be a better way to go myself,unless things are "out of hand".Maybe come up with prices for lite growth and heavy...just a thought.If I do a total kill before a landscape install I will add in to my price 20.00 to 40.00 depending on size.
Old 03-12-2001, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm new to the business and still learning the basics. I'm having trouble understanding the reasoning in pricing a job by the sq ft. Say it takes you 2 gallons of spray to hit all the weeds in a customers bed. You know your cost,your cost and profit increase/decrease directly with the amount of product. When your done applying you have your total. To measure all the beds (odd shapes etc.) and decide on a sq ft rate seems like double the work. Like I said I'm new to this so I may be missing the reasoning. Please explain. Thank you
Raymond
Old 03-12-2001, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In this work, sales prices are a function of materials cost plus labor cost. While you can relate materials cost to area covered in ornamental beds, the layout of the beds on the site will determine the time involved in application. One site with a single 5K bed could take half the time of another with five 1K beds. And you want to charge the same price for each of these?

If the 5K bed above has not been maintained recently, you might have to spray 4 gal of glyphosate on it. Would you charge the same price to treat weeds in cracks of a 1 acre parking lot with 4 gal of glyphosate? You can quote client a certain price, but your quote has to be based on time and materials if you are going to be fair to yourself. Experience and/or time data tables will help you estimate the times involved.
Old 03-12-2001, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I'm starting to see what you mean. I'm trying not to learn the hard way.
Raymond
Old 03-12-2001, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Yet, sometimes lessons learned the hard way stay with you your whole career. Don't ever fear making mistakes, sometimes great discovery occurs when risk is taken. However, too much risk generally spells disaster. Use your head, the Green-Industry is full of variables, what works in one area for one person won't always work for you in yours.
Old 03-12-2001, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I charge $10.00 per estimated gal of product plus my hourly rate plus a truck charge if it is not a service being performed in conjunction with another service. Pricing this way has always paid off well for me. I mark up the price of the herb. and add in the time it will take me to apply it. This way, I will always make money on those hard to spray 1000 s.f. beds as well as the easy 5000 s.f. beds.
Old 03-12-2001, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks all,
Watkins, that is exactly what I came up with as a charge, $10.00 per gallon plus labor.I also included a minimum labor charge of 30 minutes. I now see the need to include both factors in the price.
Raymond
Old 03-13-2001, 02:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another reason to know the square footage is it WILL tell you how many gallons you should use at the correct applied rate. This way you could give a more accurate price up front, instead of just saying I charge so much a gallon.

I have only done a few apps of beds for a couple non-regular maintenance customers. I admit that I just eyeballed it and said a price. They were both very small areas, and mainly just tree rings. Took only a few minutes and about 1/2 gallon each and I charged $35.00 on one since I was there mowing, and $45.00 on the other since I made a trip there to do it.

On my full maintenance accounts, I take the square footage for all beds and tree rings and use it for figuring mulch and pre and post weed control when figuring the qoute.