Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-04-2005, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ads Help

What do you guys think of the idea of sending letters to owners who have houses on sale?I was thinking about putting somenthing like:
Your house value will go up if you have a nice landscape yard.... or you can sell it for more money if you yard is well taken care of...
Any ideas, suggestions, letter samples? etc
Old 08-04-2005, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I think you might want to work a little more at exactly what you put in the letter but the idea is a good one. Also, direct mailings get a higher response rate than say flyers or door hanger. Not only what you mentioned but also the fact that people that are moving have many more things on their mind than their yeard work and also you will have first dibs on any new families moving in. Just keep in mind that you may lose the account at any time.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your response. I will definitely think about that. But even if it a one time job it's money coming in that helps too.
If anybody can help me write a letter I will appreciate that. I am not good at it at all. :blush:
Old 08-06-2005, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Been there,..done that. There is alot of validity to the concept you are suggesting, here. There are many small things that can make a BIG difference in impression. Here are some of the things that are the easiest to focus on that help aesthetically (cosmetically). Also, is how they should be explained to the customer. The trimming of the trees and/or shrubbery. When it is trimmed over once, it looks as if it was kept up forever. The trees are the same way. If they are lifted up a bit, the yard is much more open and WELCOMING. This especially applies to anything that may be hanging over sidewalks or creating any sort of hinderance. No weeds should be sticking up in beds. When people see this type of thing, it sends a subliminal message of "work" through their minds. Though they won't think of it directly, the element has been planted without them even knowing it...and it can and does influence their decision to like and to purchase. Here's a biggy....the edging and curbsweep. It can be a big, nasty job, but it makes an EXTREME difference on impression...THIS is the definition of "curb appeal". When you sell this stuff, you tell your potential customer that they only have ONE chance to make a first impression...make it count. For some, as soon as they pull into the driveway and see the place, the "tone" has already been set for how the rest of the tour will go. THIS MATTERS. O.K., I'll step down off my soapbox here, as I have rambled on enough.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your input but I still did not get help writing a letter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Been there,..done that. There is alot of validity to the concept you are suggesting, here. There are many small things that can make a BIG difference in impression. Here are some of the things that are the easiest to focus on that help aesthetically (cosmetically). Also, is how they should be explained to the customer. The trimming of the trees and/or shrubbery. When it is trimmed over once, it looks as if it was kept up forever. The trees are the same way. If they are lifted up a bit, the yard is much more open and WELCOMING. This especially applies to anything that may be hanging over sidewalks or creating any sort of hinderance. No weeds should be sticking up in beds. When people see this type of thing, it sends a subliminal message of "work" through their minds. Though they won't think of it directly, the element has been planted without them even knowing it...and it can and does influence their decision to like and to purchase. Here's a biggy....the edging and curbsweep. It can be a big, nasty job, but it makes an EXTREME difference on impression...THIS is the definition of "curb appeal". When you sell this stuff, you tell your potential customer that they only have ONE chance to make a first impression...make it count. For some, as soon as they pull into the driveway and see the place, the "tone" has already been set for how the rest of the tour will go. THIS MATTERS. O.K., I'll step down off my soapbox here, as I have rambled on enough.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In the Dallas Area We call it curb appeal
Old 08-08-2005, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I prefer to call and have a conversation.

Runner, what is curbsweep?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
Hi lawn,

Why not write a letter to the best of your ability and post it. Then others can help guide you.

<tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td></td></tr></table>
<center>Free Web Templates. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>
Old 08-09-2005, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

team that's a good idea! I'll try and come back as soon as I finished. Thanks!