Register free!

Old 03-12-2001, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello,
I 've been doing lawncare part-time for 15 years.I finally quit my other job and this will be my first season full-time!
I've never offered fert before . I thought it would be another way to make money so I'm offering it this year.
I took a course at Cornell Corp. Ext. Also took the pesticide cert. exam last Thurs.(I think I passed).
I talked to some people at Lesco and they are setting me up w/stainless spreader & backpack sprayer.
Decided to just do turf this year and keep it simple.It looks like I should get about 20 cust. to sign up at this point.
Any suggestions or comments?
Also wondering what chem. I should have on hand.

Tom

Old 03-12-2001, 09:29 PM
equipguy

Give them a call

Tom it sounds like you have started out in the right direction. Lesco is holding a turf seminar this Wed march 12
at Josephs's country manor in Depew. Did they mention that to you? You should really try to attend, see if they still have room. I guess they have over 200 people attending. If you can not make that meeting they are having an open house the next week on the 21st. They will point you in the right direction. Are you thinking about a granular program? or a mix of liquid and granular. I like a mix of granular and liquid for a program, all granular is fine once you get the lawn in shape. For the chem on hand question, it really depends on your soil tests, Lesco can help you with that and make a recomendation for the products to use.
Old 03-13-2001, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

equipguy
Going granular for fert. Liquid for spot treating weeds.
Wondering if I should have something handy for insects. What do you normally keep on the truck or in the shop along w/fert ?

Tom

Old 03-13-2001, 10:30 PM
equipguy

gran man

It looks like the product of choice for surface feeders this year (if it ever stops snowing) will be talstar. This product is made by FMC and has shown some real promising results. Dursban was the old standby and talstar is the way of the future. For weed control MOMENUTM by LESCO is the way to go for spot treating. They also have it in a granular product, excellent product to use. For a granular program, it is very close to liquid for results. Cost more per 1000 but the results are there. I am looking forward to the LESCO seminar Wednesday to learn more about these products. Hope this helps!
Old 03-15-2001, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Spraying Vs. Granular?

Ok folks,...Here is another question for you.
To keep costs down to the property owner is granular or spraying cheaper? Are prices usually close enough that it does not matter? I have 10 accounts lined up and the owner wants the cheapest method. I have yet to get down to the dealer on this question. I plan on using a mix of products like Tomoaktree also. The spreader is running me $289, which will hold 100 lbs. of product +. I am also just starting out this year so I need to keep costs down myself.... The spreader is a tow-behind model and for spot spraying until I get the tow-behind sprayer, I'll be using a spot spraying aerosol can and pump sprayer for larger problem areas. The owner also requested only three applications of fert. and weed control for these apartment complexes per year. What are the cheap but good types of emergent control and fert. out on the market?
Also, I once read in this forum that I should be charging either $35 per 1,000 sq. feet or was it $35 for every 10,000 sq. feet??? Per every 10,000 sq. feet seems right. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks everyone!