Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-11-2005, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trailer Floor

I have an old 6x12 and the wood looks like it should be going soon. And with the purchase of some new mowers I dont think it can handle it. So I know could cut it out, but come back with what? How wide of boards should I get, and do they just slide in or is there a way to mount them?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2005, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any ideas on a way I can just re-enforce it????
Old 08-13-2005, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just buy treated 2" x 6" boards or whatever size you have now at home depot. At the ends of trailer boards is there metal on top and bottom that keeps you from just pulling up the boards? If yes just cut them out.

To put in the new boards the same length you need to bend/bow the boards enough to slide them back in. I would think you do the two outside edge boards and work your way into the center of the trailer.

I have never replace boards before so someone may have a better idea.

Bill
Old 08-13-2005, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok hers how it woorks............ ive done this with several of the trailers we own...... well almost all of them..... on the tail of the trailer is the angle iron piece that covers the boards roughly and inch or so....... before doing anything to it take a look at it and find where it is welded at. more than likely it is welded on the top, at the ends, the back of the angle iron is prob also welded ( the part that you can see from the outside that goes up and down, not the side/under the trailer) Along the back of the angle iron it is "tack " welded in 2 or 3 spots that are visible from standing behind the trailer.

Do you have a hand held grinder? This is the easiest way to do this. If you dont find someone who will let u use theirs. GO to homo cheapo and where the grinding stuff is they have some 4 and 4.5 inch "metal cut off wheels. you will need to get a couple of these. At the point where the tack welds are these can be ground down/off ( just as if you were sharpening blades.) The sides of the angle iron both at the top and back will need to be cut with the cut off wheels.... DO NOT try to be cheap here and just grind then out. CUT THEM OFFas clean, straight and thin of a cut as you possibly can.

Now this piece of angle iron should come right off, may takea little "rocking" to completlybreak the tacks. Now the boards will literally slide right out. Measure them 2x6 2x8 etc etc always remember a 2x6 is not going to be exactly 2x6 it will be 2x5.5 and 2x8 is 2x7.5 . Length will be ok a 12 foot trailer will need 12 foot boards. etc etc. No cutting should be done to the length. ( RULE OF THUMB--- i learned this the HARD way my first time to do this........ get your boards 2 to 3 weeks before you do this, lay them outside in the yard or somewhere each board single not stacked, flip them over every 2-3 days. This will dry them out and cause them to shrink making the install easier.) now put the boards in the sides first working your way to the inside, ( when u buy the boards make sure they are stright.

When u get to the middle and last board i guarentee you it will not perfectly fit. DO NOT rip ( cut it length wise) to make it fit. It will take the boards 3 -6months to fully dry out and shrink. Take the last board that wont fit and one of the boards next to it put the farthest edges of the board into the frame, the other two egdes touching to make a triangle with the two boards. ( this may or may not be clear from describing) let me know if not....... now with you and a friend helping, force the boards down in the center, this will take some force and will take a while, remember nomatter how hard this is or how frustrated u get do not cut the boards length wise, u will regret it later on.

Ok so now the boards are in ...... the piece of angle iron goes back in now.... if you dont have a welder, find someone who does.... or go to a welding shop ... the peices of angle iron have a to be welded back in place. It needs to be welded, at each point that was ground down, and at each of the cutting points on the sides and back, this is why u want those cuts to be so clean and neat, the cleaner they are to begin with the easier and stonger the weld will be now. also you may want to tack weld a few other spots as well to add more strength.

Now you should be back in business. Get some spray paint and paint the new welds a couple of coats of paint so they dont rust. And off you go. It should take you roughly 2 hours start to finish if you have the general idea and have things set up, grinder, wood ready, welder convienient etc etc.......

I know this may seem like alot to do but its really simple. If you need more info let me know PM me and ill get back to you also i can take some pics on one of the trailers and go through it step by step with pics if u so desire i can email them to you.... just let me know...i get bored during the day when im not working... LOL hope it work out for ya post some pics of it when u are done..... Good luck to ya.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh and im sure u know this already but make sure the boards a pressure treated (PT)
Old 08-14-2005, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i plant art that was a good post. I am curious have you every try to bow the board and just slip in in without taking apart the weld. You may be able to get a good enough bow for a 12' board to slip it in. I have never tried this.

I may be trading my trailer in for a longer one and it needs a few new boards. The trailer dealer who also has a trailer repair shop all they do is cut the old boards out and then just bow in the new ones. I would assume the boards are still pretty green to bow it fairly good.

Bill
Old 08-14-2005, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

dls1- i have never tried this.... it makes logical sense i guess the longer the board the easier to bend....... i dont know just getting those last board or two in would be trick without cutting it....... of course you could always cut it ya know for simplicity sake. I dont know though let me know how it turns out and it u do bend them how it was......