Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-12-2005, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

question about incorperating

i hope someone on here can answer my question. i have around 40 accounts and i was approached by a fellow lco about buying him out, he has around 50
sounds good, but heres my question, iam going through a bankrupcy on my personal stuff , can i incorperate in my wifes name , so it will be a minority business, and get a business loan in our business name? or will the bankrupcy come into play?? please help someone!!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It depends

on what your wife's credit is like. This "NEW" company will have no credit history so they will be relying on your her's. There are other considerations. I don't expect you to answer this here but consult with an attorney...they are much, much less expensive than not consulting with them. Are you trying to hide or protect assets, etc.?

There is no simple answer...too many variables. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I would meet with an accountant too. A good accountant can help you do many things and will know current tax laws and methods. In general, if you are going to have employees then incorporating is a good idear.

As far as a sba loan for a woman owned biz it makes it easier. Your wife will need to close the deal with the reps and convince them she is truly the boss and knows what is going on. You will also need a good business plan if you want a biz loan as well as past records. I had that same thought about a year ago to put my wife as the owner to get a good sba loan for some major equipment purchases. I never did go through with it though.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just received an SBA loan .... it's almost like buying a house .... I finally got this after being inc. for 8 years .... tried the first 3 .... always to get a no

If your name n hers is on any paper work together the credit score will reflect this

She can be the Pres n CEO but you too can be an officer .... such as VP or CFO .... n as the Financial Officer of the Inc. be more in the loop than even the CEO needs too be .... as far as answer questions or having input to the business plan

Gonna need a good CPA with Inc. back ground

Good Luck

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Old 08-14-2005, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Just because an opportunity arises does not mean you have to jump through hoops to make the deal work. If you are going through personal bankruptcy now is probably not the best time to be trying to buy out someone else and take on more debt regardless if you can put it in your wife's name - someone still has to pay off the debt.

I would suggest trying to grow internally. You can easily open 50 new accounts over the next 1 to 2 seasons and at the end of 2 seasons you have the same numbers but you grow into the larger size. Having personally run a business that almost doubled top line in one year, there are tons of additional issues to deal with from training, more equipment and maintenance, customer service, quality control, as well as having the means to get the work done if it rains 2 or 3 days during the week.

If you have enough money in reserves to be able to survive 3-6 months without drawing a paycheck, then you could a least consider the buyout. If not which then focus your energies on growing your business from within.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No wait a min Guys.......

If I understand it correctly, incorporating Means making the Business it's own " Person - So to say "

Like if something goes wrong and someone wants to sue ya then they can only go after the company and not YOU personally....

Do I have this right or no?

I thought it was a MUST...
Old 08-15-2005, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have posted about this a few times. Insted of reposting here is a link to what I said before.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...=incorporating
Old 08-15-2005, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlydeere
i hope someone on here can answer my question. i have around 40 accounts and i was approached by a fellow lco about buying him out, he has around 50
sounds good, but heres my question, iam going through a bankrupcy on my personal stuff , can i incorperate in my wifes name , so it will be a minority business, and get a business loan in our business name? or will the bankrupcy come into play?? please help someone!!!!
Well if you're going through bankruptcy then you have hired an attorney and you need to ask said attorney these questions. If you have not hired an attorney, the 500-1000 dollars one pays for this is well worth it.
But to answer your question to the best of MY knowledge, if you incorporate in YOUR name before the proceedings start, then the incorporation separates YOU from the company period - It doesn't matter if they come after you then they can't touch the CO. and if they go after the CO. then they can't touch you, basically. But I'm no attorney and you really should seek a bit more assistance in that direction as this could be a touchy matter if I am wrong or if you assume whatever and are mistaken.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi heavenlydeere,

Feel free to send your question to our cpa and see what kind of advice he can offer you on this.

<table width=100%>
<tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td></td></tr></table>
<center>Free Web Templates. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>