Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-18-2005, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Just bought a used Gravely PM34Z. Built tough and very fast.
I've seen several units sell on E-Bay up north at a discount. Winter is coming!
New in this area they are $4499. Shop around by phone and see if any of your area dealers are ready to clear stock. Just like car sales.. no one wants to be holding last years model come winter.
I'm mowing 1.3 acres in about an hour. I have 30+ big oaks and numerous smaller obstacles. Unit is very easy to operate and only problem I'm having is getting to where I don't spin the tires on fast manuevers.
I only have 2+ hours experience mowing with this unit. I just get done too quickly.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it should be no problem to get $500 off list on a Gravely. I believe you would have a better mower if you got the basic 144Z, manual lift. It has much tougher pumps and motors.

The main thing to avoid is a ZTR that has integrated drives. Make sure you get one with individual pumps and wheel motors.

The Bad Boy Pup Mini Z is a lot of mower for the money and is commercial built through and through. See www.badboymowers.com. Go to the online store for pricing and if there is a dealer near you he will give you $500 off those numbers.

Good luck,
Doc
Old 08-19-2005, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

For just 1/2 acre, get a WB. Get a sulky for it and you will be all set.

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 08-19-2005, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

nyrookie, imo you do not need a commercial mower for .5 ac. seperate pumps and motors are a necessity for hundreds of hrs per year. you should be able to mow your yard in 30-45 mins. i don't know how long your growing season last, but even if its six mons. and assume that it will take you an hour to cut your yard, that is 26 hrs/yr. again i point you to the hustler mini fasttrak. the pumps are rated for 800 hrs. thats almost 32 yrs. if you have the money or just have to have a commercial mower, then have at it. i understand. there are things that i don't really need that i buy just b/c i can. i'm just trying to save you a little money so you can buy another boat, or bike, or to take that cruise.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmurph
nyrookie, imo you do not need a commercial mower for .5 ac. seperate pumps and motors are a necessity for hundreds of hrs per year. you should be able to mow your yard in 30-45 mins. i don't know how long your growing season last, but even if its six mons. and assume that it will take you an hour to cut your yard, that is 26 hrs/yr. again i point you to the hustler mini fasttrak. the pumps are rated for 800 hrs. thats almost 32 yrs. if you have the money or just have to have a commercial mower, then have at it. i understand. there are things that i don't really need that i buy just b/c i can. i'm just trying to save you a little money so you can buy another boat, or bike, or to take that cruise.

Thanks for the advise all......

I ended up buying the Gravely PM34Z.....great little machine. Quite impressed with the amount of power it has.....almost overkill (9mph on a 34"?!?!). Dug up the lawn quite a bit too until I let a ton of air out of the tires....One thing I wish it did have was anti scalp rollers (I cut at 3"....have some uneven portions in the lawn )
Old 08-22-2005, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you made a great choice.

To prevent "digging up the yard" be SMOOTH on the levers and try not to reverse one of the wheels while the mower is still moving forward. It is very tempting to just yank the levers in opposite directions to spin around, but if the mower is moving, one of those wheels is quickly reversing and will spin.

You'll get the hang of it.

Enjoy,
Doc