The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2005, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Ring crew's neck

One over sleeps
some one knocks off the break box for the trailer
etc.

Would love to charge them my time for repairs and having to wait for the one who overslept and etc.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 08-20-2005, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Employees suck.

For A Great Looking Lawn Year-Round
Old 08-21-2005, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I worked for a company and the way they solved this issue was that if it was a 3 man crew and they had to wait on you for 30 minutes you did not get paid for the man hour that you wasted by the other two having to wait on you. When guys showed up late and were reminded of this it usually get them right back in line. Then there were the few who just didn't care. They did not last long. We had to sign a form regarding this as soon as it was made policy.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you pay them?

I wouldn't.

Matter of fact, nobody ever shows up here so no payroll. More money for me and if someone DOES show up, they won't get the time of day out of me.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

have them sign an indemnity agreement and charge the crap out of them. if you cant make money off them mowing for you then make money off their stupidity.

note * (not all employees that break something everyday and are consitently late are lazy and stupid... in case any of those employees are reading this and take offense.)

SFLQPRU President

L.G.U.!
*iowaflag*
:sfl flag:
Old 08-22-2005, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Several years ago when I was an employee of a LC, we had a few guys who were always breaking stuff (Ours or customers) and one or two that were always late or didn't show up...

After 2-3 times breaking something the boss would take most or all of it out of their pay, sometimes he'd do a weekly deduction if it was going to be alot and take it out over several weeks or months...

If they showed up late and the others were waiting, he would do it like this:

If there were two of us waiting on one guy and he was up to a half hour late, he would get deducted and Hour 1/2 hour for each of us waiting) of the days pay...

If he was an hour late, he got deducted 2 hours, one for each of us waiting....

If that happened a few times, he knocked the guys pay down like $.25 an hour, then said if the guy showed up for 2-3 months without being late, he could get his pay bumped back up the quarter an hour he lost...

If they missed a day without calling in and the boss felt it was B.S. he would take $.25 an hour from them for a month or teo also..

Also, I don't know if he gave it to the other guys, but several times a year, he would give me cash bonuses for always being ontime/early and for doing a good job... I doub't the other guys got it as they were late or did not show up to many times...

Also, he kept a file log detailing each event and Bump, cut or deduction in pay... At the begining of each season, we were eligible for a raise, he would go over all that and use that to decide on if and how much of a raise was given...

I never got hit with any of the above as I was always there ontime, usually early and only missed work if I was extreamly sick or pre-scheduled it
and very rarley broke stuff... I've always had a decent work ethic and try to consistently do the best job I can, no mater what it is...

I felt this system was fair and may implement something simmilar if I ever get big enought to Hire someone...
Old 08-22-2005, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the deal for my guys:
If you are late then you owe me the time that the rest of the crew cost me while they were waiting
If you break it you bought it...I understand that over time things wear out and brake, that's fine. Brand new grass catchers that look like a pretzel after 3 months, I don't think so. If it's normal wear and tear I'll replace it. If your being stupid then you buy it.
The way I look at it is if it was their equipment then they would treat it with respect. Why should my stuff be treated any different.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A good way to solve tardiness is simply this. If they are late should you wait? No way.....That is your first mistake. If they want to work then make them catch up with you on the route. They can then leave there transportation where they meet you. Do you take them back to there car at then end of the day? NO... make them figure out how to get back to there car, if another employee wants to take them, let them, but they will get tired of that. They lose their time. Another thing I do is make them stay late while everyone else goes home, to do maintenace on equipment. I usually make them make up ther time on Friday afternoon. Guess what? I rarely have late employee's any more. Also, ecessive tardiness is ground for termination.