Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-22-2005, 04:23 PM
scraper69's Avatar
scraper69 scraper69 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: mi
Posts: 478
WONT START>>>

ok.. wed. we used this truck (GMC 3500 P/U for the first time in a couple months. Was pretty low on gas, but sat at jobsite. Then wen to start, and no go... just cranking. Ok well obviously out of gas... so we get gas in it and fire ... nothing now the starter is going.. so after jumping the selonoid and getting it to crank over , but still no start. NOW What.... well i decided the fuel filter must be clogged.. so we change and wiht a shot of starting fluid the truck started and ran back to the shop./

Today i try starting and no go... just cranks and cranks ...

What could this be????
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper69
ok.. wed. we used this truck (GMC 3500 P/U for the first time in a couple months. Was pretty low on gas, but sat at jobsite. Then wen to start, and no go... just cranking. Ok well obviously out of gas... so we get gas in it and fire ... nothing now the starter is going.. so after jumping the selonoid and getting it to crank over , but still no start. NOW What.... well i decided the fuel filter must be clogged.. so we change and wiht a shot of starting fluid the truck started and ran back to the shop./

Today i try starting and no go... just cranks and cranks ...

What could this be????
Well what year is it and what engine is in it ???
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-22-2005, 06:24 PM
lawnmaniac883's Avatar
lawnmaniac883 lawnmaniac883 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: largo, FL
Posts: 2,621
Almost impossible to determine the cause of this without more engine information. Check the plugs and wires though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2005, 06:19 AM
scraper69's Avatar
scraper69 scraper69 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: mi
Posts: 478
1992 fuel injected... v8 5.7 GMC

you wouldnt think ;;; Fuel pump??
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2005, 06:40 AM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper69
1992 fuel injected... v8 5.7 GMC

you wouldnt think ;;; Fuel pump??
Well, I got out the auto business 14yrs. ago so not sure I can help much. But I do remember there is a fuse and should be a relay to run the fuel pump, So these should be checked before replacing the pump. Least it's a starting lol point.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-23-2005, 07:12 PM
lawnmaniac883's Avatar
lawnmaniac883 lawnmaniac883 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: largo, FL
Posts: 2,621
You put starting fluid into your Fuel Injected truck...how is that possible lol?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmaniac883
You put starting fluid into your Fuel Injected truck...how is that possible lol?
Remove the air intake hose and spray it in !!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-05-2005, 07:50 PM
briggsman65 briggsman65 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Roxana Illinois
Posts: 22
I am probably too late

on this one. But just in case you are still waiting on an answer. If the fuel pump is in the gas tank then I would have to say yes it is the fuel pump. On all GM vehicles for whatever reason if you let them run below an 1/8 of a tank they appear to be detrimental on the fuel pump. The fuel in the tank actually acts as a cooling agent on the pump and when you let them run down past an 1/8 of a tank they usually go kaput. So replace your fuel pump and a word to the wise never let it run below a 1/4 of a tank.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 PM.

Page generated in 0.09102 seconds with 9 queries