Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-07-2005, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

HELP! starter/fly problem on honda 24

I have replaced the starter on my honda engine twice and no fix, i decided to pull the covers off and check the fly wheel. it all seems ok, but when the fly wheel stops it doesnt line up good. when you start it it just smaks the flywheel and doesnt slide between the teeth. is there a way to adjust this or do i need a fly wheel. can you heat and flip the gear on these like the john deers? please help i need it this weekend.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've never heard of flipping a ring gear on any of the engines listed in my signature,They normally have the taper only on one side of the teeth and this would be something to look at close to see if their worn or chewed up.
What Deere engine are you referring to ?
Looks like a flywheel may be in order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 09-07-2005 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I might be wrong about the make i dont know whats possible on this one.
I looked at the fly and cant see anything wrong with it, how much wear can cause this problem, the fly wheel is clean looking? i'm lost. i've also done the new battery thing with no luck.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwhat
I might be wrong about the make i dont know whats possible on this one.
I looked at the fly and cant see anything wrong with it, how much wear can cause this problem, the fly wheel is clean looking? i'm lost. i've also done the new battery thing with no luck.
Well I havn't seen any problems with these larger Honda's as of yet but here is something you can try. Take a set of jumper cables and go from battery neg. to the engine block, Go from battery pos. and touch the small spade post on the solenoid and see if it engauges properly. This will bypass the unit electrical system and a starter relay that may be on the unit.
Btw, You didn't say what unit this engine was on.
Quote:
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry. hustler mini z. i'll try that in the morning. if that doesnt tell me anything should i try a new flywheel. i can always take it back. my neighbor used to own a service place and said i should also replace cables. watcha think. i am willing to try anything to get it done by this weekend, including accidently letting it catch on fire and collecting the ins. ok maybe not, repaired will do fine. thanks for helping me.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=microwhat]sorry. hustler mini z. i'll try that in the morning. if that doesnt tell me anything should i try a new flywheel. i can always take it back. my neighbor used to own a service place and said i should also replace cables. watcha think. i am willing to try anything to get it done by this weekend, including accidently letting it catch on fire and collecting the ins. ok maybe not, repaired will do fine. thanks for helping me.[/QUOTE

Well, This test is going to bypass everything, If it still doesn't work properly and you did say it's a new starter the only thing I see left is the flywheel.
If you can take it back I'd sure try the new one.
Quote: