Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2000, 06:40 AM

Another wet day in Northwestern Vermont. Actually had two days without rain, but it's drizzly again today. 38 deg., drizzle and really dark overcast, SNOW in the mountains. <p>I use a bagger for cleanup, it doesn't like picking up wet stuff at all. This is not being fun! Grass is growing slowly but it's still going to need mowing before I get all my cleanups done at this rate.<p>Last summer was hell on lawns, I've got a mess of re-seeding to do but I hate to even consider putting seed down until the soil temperature comes up enough to germinate it. I'm afraid that if I put seed in the cold mud we've got right now all it will do is rot.<p>I guess I'll go tinker with equipment and see how the day develops. Weather Channel is saying showers/drizzle all day and into tonight.<p>I love this business!!
Old 04-27-2000, 06:45 PM

It rained here monday and tuesday and suppose to rain tonight and friday. In the south east here. This chilly weather is getting me down. But we need the rain so I cant really complain. The weather has been really crazy lately. One week in the 80s and the next in the 40s and 50s
Old 04-27-2000, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You folks that are getting it are extremely lucky! Let it go for weeks on end without that &quot;liquid gold&quot; and you will love to see it. They say the rain may be on the way here soon, all we can do is hope!<p>Homer
Old 04-27-2000, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HOPE AND PRAY!!!<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 04-27-2000, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

alan--put that seed down now! no way it's gonna rot. if you wait, the fresh grass may have to face a dry summer!!!<p>good luck!!!<p>GEO
Old 04-28-2000, 08:35 PM

Geogunn, I've tried early seeding and gotten burned badly. Now I won't put seed down until the ground warms. Not hard and fast time, it varies from year to year, but usually it's about the time I have mowed once that I feel comfortable with it. Farmers here don't plant ag crops until mid May or so, last corn is in the ground by the first Saturday in June so they can go to Dairy Festival.