Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2000, 09:02 AM

Hello Everybody & Mow Ed:<p>I know what you mean, something similar happened to me & it was the greatest thing that ever happened to me. It changed my whole outlook on life!<p>I had that attitude that I want to do all the work & make all the money by myself. Well that soon changed for me.<p>Somehow I fell off a roof & hit the corner of the AC unit with my hip. It hurt so bad I layed there because I thought I broke my hip, I mean sheer pain.<p>Those brief seconds I was thinking about loosing all my accounts, because I had a broke hip. I had no one to help me & what was I going to do?<p>LOL, after a bit I finally decided no one was around & I got up. It was painful but it was just a world class bruise. I recon you could call me a sissy there for a few seconds!<p>Well that was when I decided I needed some help in case I got hurt again.<p>When I did get my help it was straight up the ladder of success from there. Money & accounts were comming in left & right.<p>Like I say quite a bit, In order to be a success, it takes more than one person!!!!!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/<br>
Old 04-28-2000, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The first time you fall off the roof you will seriously question whether the thirty bucks or so was worth it, believe me when I say, laying flat on your back with the wind knocked out of you, and you're not sure its really that, or you cant breathe cuz your neck is broken, you'll leave the gutter cleaning to the scrubs. Pick up another lawn instead.<p>Even the roofers I know wont clean gutters, the consensus is, if you're not making at least a grand up there, stay on the ground. No fun watching the grass grow for twelve weeks from the front porch while your busted hip heals.<p>Bill
Old 04-28-2000, 04:21 PM

I agree gutter work is dangerous. One slip and you can be dead or out of business. I have alway done gutters. One time i had the latter on a asphalt drive. I didnt realise it had a little slopt to it. The latter slipped and luckily caught the edge of the owners tire. Or I could have broke my neck. Charge good money for that type of job because it may be your last
Old 04-28-2000, 04:30 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The neighbor behind us trimmed up his bushes nice and short and then went up on the roof with his back pack blower to blow all the leaves off the roof and out of the gutters. He slipped and fell on the bushes and the short branches went right through him and killed him. It is VERY dangerous work.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 04-28-2000, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I will have to agree with MOW ED in the single-story gutter cleaning. I've fallen like that before and it ain't no picnic; however, have any of you used the vacuum attachments and if so, what has been the best experience: Echo, Stihl, Shindaiwa, Red Max... I just want to know how effective these vac systems work and if they justify the cost of buying the extra hardware!
Old 04-28-2000, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

well said lawnguy leave it to the scrubs if you are in the lawn care buisness stay there you only make yourself look bad if you are cleaning gutters , or painting decks or power washing driveways come on guys we are supposed to be pros dont kill your image everybody already thinks were just the guy who cuts the grass lets start acting and looking profesional