Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2000, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking into purchasing the 6.5hp briggs but when I called my dealer they said that they don't carry that model all they have is the 4.5hp suzuki. I now on a 5.5hp commercial honda and was looking to replace it because it leaving blades sticking up in the yard I am discouraged at the 4.5hp 2-stroke and just wanted to know if there was a difference in power between the 6.5hp four stroke and 4.5hp two stroke.
Old 04-24-2000, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION BUT I HAD A TORO 2 CYCLE THAT HAD BEEN SETTING FOR 3 YEARS I DID VERY LITTLE WORK TO IT PUT NEW FUEL IN IT AND IT CRANKED IN JUST A FEW PULLS!MY BROTHER STILL USES THIS MOWER TODAY.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 04-24-2000, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a 2-cycle Toro 21&quot; and it has plenty of power. Yes, I would match the 4.5 2cyc. against the 6.5 anyday. One can not just compare the hp in this case since the 2 stroke is going to have more torque than a comparible 4 due to the nature of a 2-cycle engine. That particular Toro (4.5) is lighter than the 6.5, and will cut on inclines without risking burning the engine up like on a 4.5 since oil is mixed with the fuel. It will cut thicker grass than the 6.5 in my opinion. The only down sides of that mower is that if anyone puts unmixed fuel in it = destruction. Also, cant have it in California due to emissions regulations. Some states are looking to ban them in the future as well. For me, those were not concerns.
Old 04-25-2000, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trimmer, I own the Toro Commerical 21&quot; w/ the 4.5 HP Suzki and it has plenty of power. I mulch all the time and this spring I have cut very tall&thick grass and have yet to bogg it down. I also installed the Toro Atomic Blade and it really helps out in the spring cuttings. Hope this helps you make your decison. Mowman
Old 04-25-2000, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Toro 21&quot; Commercial today, and then come home to read these comments. Glad they were all positive. <p>One main reason I went with the Toro was for cheaper maintenance. When I stated in business I bought a JD 21&quot; Commercial w/ 5.5 Kawasaki engine. And it is a good mower. But in three years I have had to replace wheels ($100 set), Replace blade clutch($99), wear out and break the drive cable at every few months ($16 a pop), have to change oil and filter every month ($10), etc, etc.<p>The other reason I went with the Toro was, I have had one for about 18 yrs. I bought it way before I thought about mowing for money. I mowed my 3.5 acres with it for about 10 yrs. I am ashamed to admit it though, but I really abused that mower. Left it out in the rain. I used it as a brush mower. I'd cut anything with it. If it would bend under the deck I'd mow it. It finally developed a crack in the deck and I put the engine on a used deck and gave it to my son. It still runs today. Will usually start on the first pull. I don't really think you can hurt one of these mowers.<p>The one thing that I have a problem with the Toro though, is that I am over 6' and the handles are a little low to the ground for me. Am looking for some extensions. Any ideas? And had to do some adjustments to the handle and kill switch so mower would keep running when handle is released. I know that is not recommended to do, but is a real pain for a commercial mower to have this feature. But since I am the only one to use this mower I know what I did.<p>Jim<br>
Old 04-26-2000, 05:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I would go 2-stroke for a couple of reasons. Suzuki makes excellent engines (Have owned 5) secondly fewer moving parts (No Valves) Constant lubrication (Assuming you remember to mix) and lastly better low end torque than a 4 stroke. Will Cut better in the same conditions.
Old 04-28-2000, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a toro but ive got the <br>snapper with the robin engine 4hp 2 <br>cycle, Im now on my 5th yr and it still <br>runs great, I use it around 17hrs per <br>week, so it has many hrs, I don't think <br>you can go wrong with the 2 cycle.<p>----------<br>Mark's Mowing Service<br>