Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2000, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok. Im in the mood for a good chuckle. You know the decision you make against your best judgement but at the urging of someone else. The one where if you did what you wanted to in the beginning you would be exactly where you ended up anyways but with the pain and expense. These decision are normally ones in which you recieve input from people who have little or no vested interest and a strong opinion (fill in the blank Wife, girlfriend, "silent" partner.) Lets here it. You know the dealer talked you into that Lawn chief mower to start your business even though you knew you wanted the Exmark.
Old 04-27-2000, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Taking on a small sub division job 3 years<br>ago. Cheap and nasty. Developers didn't want<br>to spend any money.Horrible rocky site.<br>Was fairly new to the business and so I took<br>all the project managers' petty bullshit.<br>Stress nearly did me in. In the end after<br>12 months of this,I told him to jam his job<br>up his arse.Taking on that job was the worst<br>decision I ever made.You live and learn.<p>Karl<br>
Old 04-27-2000, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Mine is non business related.I bought a property with lots of lawn and even more landscaping. Wanted a Walker right out of the chute. Everyone told me I was nuts to much for a mower etc. So I bought a simplicity Broadmoor $3200 didn't do the job sold it lost a few hundred bought the Landlord $6000. Didn't do the job sold it lost a few hundred more. Hired someone to cut my lawn $1500. Bought a snapper 21 self propelled $600 didn't do the job. Showed up at the Walker Dealer at the crack of spring. Paid $8500 for a Walker. All it cost me was about $10,000 not including the engagement ring which had to exceed to cost of the mower or else, and the honeymoon trip. So lets see. If I had done what I knew I should in the beginning I would have saved about $12K.
Old 04-27-2000, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

sound like a pain in the arse,just to get your lawn mown.For that sort of money you <br>could have flown me and my gear from Australia to cut your lawn. <p>Karl<br>
Old 04-27-2000, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey why not. What are you doing in August. The Red Sox will be in the thick of it and the pool will be open. You just have to pay to ship the equipment
Old 04-27-2000, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Walker, I'll do it and pay for my own shipping for some Red Sox tickets! I will even find a nice bench in the Back Bay to sleep on so I won't be a bother, well that and I'd be way close to Fenway.
Old 04-27-2000, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Lawnforce you have to be upper middle class to get a bench in the backbay. Space is a little tight up here. There is a huge hole in the ground which they just fiqured out they don't have any $$ to fill in. But the Sox are just one game out.
Old 04-27-2000, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

walkerrider,<br> can i have permission to reprint your story on all my flyers under the FAQ:why should i hire a lawn service?<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-27-2000, 06:39 PM

Bought a box truck for a parttime trucking business. The saleman(ford) told me it got 12 mile to a gallon. Well that is with out the box on it lol dammit. With the box it got 8 miles. With the wind blowing in the midwest and really everywhere it got 4 miles or less. Finally had to pay someone 3500$ to take it off me. I should have bought a deisel instead of a 464 gas. Stupidest decision I ever made. They could have ordered the deisel maybe.
Old 04-27-2000, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Haha CJC. Feel free to add to my mounting humiliation.... Feel free to use if it generates royalties I need a cut. Looking at the 26 EFI Version.