Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2005, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Skid steer or Small Tractor

Hi all ,
I am looking to buy a skid steer or a Kubota Tractor with bucket and backhoe. I dont like the way Skidsteers bounce around. Any suggestions on whcih to purchase. The Kubotas seem popular and are light weight for transporting.

thanks,
Dave
Old 09-20-2005, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you plan on doing with this machine, whatever it may be? A skidder will work better when you dig and load. A tractor is a better grading and lifting tool. I personally favor the skid steer because they are so easy to get around, and, with a little training, they can grade just was well as a tractor, it is just the inconvenience of looking behind you all day.

When you mention a compact type of tractor, they can't dig a booger out of a wet bucket of snot to begin with, nor do they have much lifting capacity. Getting bounced around is not such a bad thing if you are getting your work done. Riding on asmooth piece of equipment that sits there spinning it's tires is frustrating.

Your call.
www.naturescapelandscape.com
Old 09-20-2005, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

check out the kioti range of compact tractor ,there built real strong .They are built in S korea in a factory that once built kubotas www.kioti.com these little tractors are now the third biggest seller in UK and EUROPE..there also very popular in the USA check out www.tractorbynet.com to see what the guys think of them ,please do not confuse these tractors with cheap chinese imports ,they are a totaly differant league.

There so good i have a new one comimg this week ,with a loader .
Old 09-20-2005, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I rather have a tractor over a skid loader. I have both. A B-2410 kubota should be the smallest tractor you look at. They can just load a 1 ton dump. A B2710 or B2910 is a even better choice. I am replacing my B7500 with an even bigger tractor. A B2910.

I love my tractor on large mulch jobs. You can move mulch faster with it than four guys with wheel barrows. And you can't even tell I was there when we are done.

No you can't dig as well. But when it comes to grading, you just can't beat them. A big heavy box scraper is all you need.

Just remember Kubota and you won't have any problems. I have ran most brands and nothing else comes close to handing the abuse my guys give it.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous
Old 09-22-2005, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like above if you're going to look at tractors go with kioti, I am picking up my new ck30hst tomorrow. I've always rented skid steers and never liked using them, I feel that a tractor is more versatile of a machine.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleancutccl
Like above if you're going to look at tractors go with kioti, I am picking up my new ck30hst tomorrow. I've always rented skid steers and never liked using them, I feel that a tractor is more versatile of a machine.

Agreed. A tractor can do so much more than a skid steer, not to mention the attachments are much cheaper and can be used for more than one task at a time.

2004 Ford F-250 XL RC/LB 4x2 Power Stroke Diesel
2010 John Deere Z710A 48" cut
1999 John Deere GT-235/54" deck
1985 John Deere 212 w/38" deck
1983 John Deere 420 w/54" hydraulic front blade
1974 John Deere 140, 54" hydraulic blade, 3pt. hitch, tandem disc, plow, 48" deck
1971 John Deere 112, 38" deck, all original, down for engine rebuild.
1967 IH Cub Cadet 124 w/creeper box, disc, plow
1947 Economy/Power King Tractor S/N 590, fully restored.

Certified John Deere Technician
Old 09-22-2005, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I have two Kubota tractors & they are solid machines. The location of a dealer is an important factor for warranty & service. Kubota is offering 0% down & 0% financing for 36 months on their tractors for the month of Sept. Their also giving a $500 rebate on their BX models, although that model is probably too small for you.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Dave,
What is it you plan to do with this machine ?
A skid steers may be better at some jobs and compact tractors may excell in another.
Knowing what you plan to do with the machine will help us answer your question better..
Old 09-25-2005, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello all , I plan on using it for spreading loam , picking up loam, and maybe soe other stuff. I just hate the ride of the skid steer, too bumpy. Also use for loading loam and mulch in my Dump truck.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another question is the areas this piece of equipment will be used in. For 99% of our work, I would not think of using a tractor. By the time you got one bent around, you would already have made 5 passes with a skid steer.
For loading in tight areas, no way a tractor will turn tighter. You also have the problem of watching the bucket when you are grading so it does not bump something. And with most compact tractors, you really need to counter weight the front if you remove the bucket and arms which takes time.

Big spaces, tractor is better in most applications for loam. Tight spaces, skid steer hands down.
www.naturescapelandscape.com