Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2005, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Need a little advice please!

I need a little help with a decision. I'm gonna get started in the business part time in January. At first, I'm gonna work part time (2 Days a week) and get those days as full as possible.. If things go as I plan, I'm gonna expand the business full time as soon as I have enough business to keep me busy every day. Money is gonna be very tight at first, so I am trying to make very smart decisions on a mower. I had originally considered purchasing a "Quick 36" Super Duty W/B as my primary mower (at least until I can afford a ZTR). However, today I went by the local Toro Dealer and tried out a "Time Cutter" 42" ZTR/17HP Briggs. I know it is a homeowners mower, but it's only $400 more than the Quick 36. Would you guys trust it to last for say two years until I can buy something "commercial." Then, I could either sell it to a homeowner and get some of my money back on it, or I could keep it for the occasional 48" Gate. BTW, it will only have a 90 Day Warranty for commercial use, as opposed to the Quick 36 which has a 1 year commercial warranty.

Thanks for any advice you give,

Brad
Old 09-21-2005, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The first question is what are you cutting. Do you need a Z or anything that big to start. I do not use a Z on 95% of my residential properties. Decide what you need first and than shop in that style only.
As far as the Timecutter, You are right it is a homeowners model. There is a reason that Toro makes homeowners stuff and professional stuff. What are you going to be. THATS YOUR ANSWER!
Old 09-21-2005, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguy170
Then, I could either sell it to a homeowner and get some of my money back on it,

Brad
If you get to where you are using it all week you will not have it in two years.

While the Quick is a good unit I would buy a pro 44"or 48" dual hydro
You will be less tired at the end of the day and the dual hydro mower is the least costly mower to buy.

(that last statement will get a lot of replys that the price of a hydro is higher BUT a pro that uses them every day will agree with that statement)
Old 09-21-2005, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

What do you use on those residential properties?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

toro timecutter

it wont last a full season... at least with where i live and the types of yards i do.....hard to resell something that is beat to crap.....
6 full time
Old 09-21-2005, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguy170
What do you use on those residential properties?
Most of the time a 44" Toro W/B is used or a 48" TTHP (Exmark)
If there is a gate that is tight I put a 36" Toro with the fixed deck, on it.
36" and below I run fixed deck anything over and it is all flote.
I live around a lake and most of the properties are hilly.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:18 PM

if money is tight and you have the option for an affordable commercial machine (Quik 36) with a warranty, I don't think there is any question what you should do...
Old 09-28-2005, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats how i got started lawnboy...worked on filling up each day of the week untill I had around 5-7 lawns a day, what I could handle without having to hire anybody. Once I hit 20 lawns hired a young kid to weed wack and blow who didnt mind only working 15-20 hours a week. 2 years later i've got 65 lawns and going to get a new crew rolling next spring. Starting out I got a 2 year lease on an exmark 60" laser bought some rather nice equipment off of ebay and found a real nice trailor for cheap. Just broke $6000 a month...which to me is a huge success considering just 3 years ago I only had 1 $25 lawn for the first three weeks...
Old 09-28-2005, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

IF money is such an issue, wait a little longer while you save what extra you need, you'll have that much better of a headstart. I did it the hard way and you can do it too, but if there's one regret I have looking back, I really wish I'd saved more money...