Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-30-2005, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Connecticut Mower, what to do to be legit...

Hey guys,
I live in CT and was wondering if I have to do anything else to be a legit business besides getting a Tax ID number. I filled out the new registration form from the Connecticut Department of Revenue Service the other day. I originally went to city hall because I thought that was where I had to go to register, but apparently I only have to go there if someone complains that I have a commerical business and I am running it out of my house. I was told there that I only need a Tax ID number and I would be all set. If there are any CT mowers out there that could give me some feedback that would be great.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-30-2005, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's one way you can go...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...&highlight=llc

Don't ask for an easier life; ask to be a stronger person...

203-856-5602
Old 10-01-2005, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is what I did,

I registered with my town, this gives you the ability to operate out of your home legally, also, the town taxes me on my personal property used to run my buissness. You also need to do this to open a checking acct with the bus name at most banks. Cost $10.00.

Then I got a State of Ct Home improvment contractor lisence. You need this to do any land scaping in CT. I know some people don't have them, but if you check with the state, it clearly states if you are landscaping or doing lawn mantienence, you need it! Cost $170/year.

Then I got a Sales tax num, all land scaping services are taxable!

I am registered as a sole proprietor and use my SS# as my tax num with a separate checking acct with my bus name.

I am going to try to reserve my name and go LLC in the next month or so, I will also probably get a bus tax num.

I also have insurance, this is a must!

Bob
Old 10-01-2005, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is a link to the home improvement lisence and who needs one.

http://www.ct.gov/dcp/lib/dcp/pdf/fo...5_fillable.pdf

Hope this helps.

Bob
Old 10-01-2005, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I was told differently by city hall...

Thank you for your replies but I was told by my city hall that I only need to register with city hall if someone complains that I am running a commercial business out of my house. I doubt that will happen because I am just starting out and don't have all types of heavy machinery and making loud noise early in the morning. I also asked about that bank situation. City hall told me that unless the bank says that you are cashing too many checks into a personal account I don't have to register with city hall. My friend who owns a business opened a checking account for his business and didn't need to even register with city hall. I registered with the Connecticut Department of Revenue Service for the sales tax number. I registered as a sole proprietor and they are going to send me a verification in the mail. I was wondering one thing though, I registered but under the firm name on the print out for my records it says my name instead of my business name. Did I do something wrong or is that how it is suppose to be? So other than the Ct home improvement contractor license, and insurance I am basically set? One more question, what is LLC and what is the difference between a business tax numebr and a sales tax number, and are you required to have both? Finally, when the state sends you the verification of your registration for sales and use tax is the sales tax number in with the mail? Sorry about all the questions but I want to know what to do about everything and not forget to do something.
Thanks,
Rick