Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2001, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

looking for a reference page on the web that i can go to to get ball park prices on different herbicide products .
i found one ,is there any that you know of? htp//ndsuext.nodak.edu/extnews/weedpro/glo/herbfp03.txt
(i hope i got it)
anthony
Old 03-18-2001, 04:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get frustrated at manufacturers websites. They act like they are afraid to use the medium to it's full extent. They are all so afraid to put up a suggested manufacturers retail price. They need to wakeup and see that this is the future of shopping! I do not have time to make phone calls all day, but I can get all sorts of information after business hours on this puter through the web, but only if they are smart enough to provide the needed info. The companies that see this will gain an edge over others.

Now, down off my soap box, sorry Anthony, I do not know of any sites with prices.
Old 03-24-2001, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

amleo.com is the only one to quote prices on trimec and a few others. I get it much cheaper from my local dealer, but I know there has got to be a catalog SOMEWHERE that caters and sells to the pesticide applicater. Dave g
Old 03-25-2001, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you surprised?

You guys seem surprised that many companies won't post prices on stuff like chemicals. Here are a few 'for instances' to consider.

1. Do you post your prices?

2. If you do, don't you think the competition will undersell you based upon those prices? Like the last post said, he gets it cheaper locally.

3. Would you really want a homeowner to have any idea how cheap weed killer is?

4. Does it really matter any more what a posted price, list price, or suggested retail price is? On the supply side of our business, we sell chemicals for reasonable prices and markup. The thinnest margins are on the big brands, anything straight from Bayer, Dow, Monsanto, etc. If we advertised a suggested list we wouldn't ever sell anything!

5. What are your buying habits? From a sales position, knowing that someone is going to buy case after case of a pesticide allows me to discount that product. Otherwise, to keep a product on my shelf until someone strolls in for it costs money.

I think that if you are serious about buying pesticides or any other products for that matter, determine what you need, then shop it by your local dealers. For non-name brand stuff, or lesser brands like the Chaser for instance, you should be able to get a good price. We sell UHS products all day long off of our shelves because they are priced fairly (at least for the time being). For this dicussion I can make a quick comparison. I will look up exact prices, but for example, check out a product Mec-Amine D to compare with Trimec Classic. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the price difference. However, for the guy who wants to save even a few more pennies, you could actually buy all of the three ingredients separately and mix them up. To put my money where my mouth is, I will investigate the prices that I sell some products for, and post them here. Then, you guys could pick apart my pricing for learning's sake.
Old 03-25-2001, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I understand your comments about posting prices for public or competition to be able to view, but we, as lawn care outfits, are not distributers of a ACTUAL product like a chemical supplier. Most of our prices are set on a service basis that is determined by each individual property, not all LCO's but most. Also, if you think your competition does not know what you are charging for a gallon of a pesticide, then you are kiddin yourself. Most businesses out there when possible will call competition on the phone and check prices on products or send someone in to price shop your shelfs.

Going to my local dealer, I have learned, whether it be lawn equipment, trucks or chemicals, it is best to have an idea what the going price is on a product before you walk in the door. I had a mower dealer try to tell me the accessories on a 21" mower were seperate from the mower. I showed him the page I printed off the manufacturers website which showed what was included and at what suggested list price. I purchased a crewcab truck much the same manner, I knew before I walked in what I was going to get for what price and I DID! I purchased some TrimecPlus several years ago from a guy that said he would give me a deal at $35.00 a gallon to get it gone. I knew it was selling at almost triple that price from a catalog dealer.

Change is scary to every business. Sears and Roebuck capitalized on the catalog many, many years ago. Sam Walton capitalized on the mass purchasing discount power. The web is a new business medium that many are using and many more will in the future. More and more people have less and less time to RUN AROUND and they are finding the web an invaluable tool. If a company is going to be on the web to help sell products, then they need to follow through.

[Edited by Skookum on 03-25-2001 at 03:36 PM]
Old 03-25-2001, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

FYI, Landscapers Supply told me that they won't ship any liquid containers through the mail.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 03-25-2001, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

well said scott
anthony
Old 03-25-2001, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

SLS,Mec-amine D is restricted use in NY state-I use it,since it is cheaper than tri-mec,but the homeowners and landscapers without licenses cant buy or apply it here.It seems there are a ton of unlicensed applicators here by the sales.
Old 03-25-2001, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Once again, my opinions!!

First of all, I feel that ALL pesticides should be restricted use. The homeowner with his roundup or other such magic bottle is the real threat to the environment.

Second of all, Shopping around costs money. Phone calls, driving, and time. After shopping around, I have found an excellent distributor that gives me a great price every time. I have check on him a few times. Building a relationship with your suppliers is just as important as the relationships that you build with your customers. Loyalty is fleeting fast and many people still recognize and appreciate it. They show their appreciation with a great price, right up front.

Finally, the web is a valuable tool. It is becoming more valuable every day. Look at all of us. We are all here trying to learn something and be helpful. The web is no substitute for a handshake though.

Just my 2 cents worth!
Old 03-25-2001, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Prices

Scott and others

We do post our prices, and publish a catalog. I am very aware of the competition and how the 'game' is played. I wanted to spur some thought, that's all. I guess that after a while it is my opinion that a service outfit, like a LCO, should have a solid supplier for materials, then you (not you personally) won't get blindsided by price changes. My experience has proven that over time the cost of these chemicals, especially the price per square foot, changes very little. It is a slow and often steady increase. Furthermore, by the time you factor in the labor, as you pointed out, the chemical cost is quite low. Why spend a tremendous amount of time shopping on the web or elsewhere. Find a steady and consistent source, and even if you pay a little more for convenience, you can concentrate on the costs that you CAN control, the labor and other overhead.

Just to comment on the Trimec plus money comparison, last year, for example, we were selling it off of the shelf to landscapers for about 40-45/gallon (2.5 gal, or 1 gal). If a customer bought more, it would be discounted. If you witnessed a list price of 3x35/gallon as you mentionted, then what was the benefit of that catalog listing used as a reference point? It helped your supplier turn over some old inventory. What would the benefit of seeing such an astronomical suggested retail price on a website? I suppose it is also important to recognize the difference, as I pointed out previously in item 4, that there are many different price levels for items along the supply chain. My thought is to use that web for helping to gather more information to pool with catalogs, vendors, etc., not to rely on any one source, including a manufacturer's site. I agree with you that the more informed you are when making a purchase the better off you will ultimately be.

I want to make a couple of points to backup my postition.

1. I value the internet highly. We provide free internet access to our customers for label access, MSDSs, compliance issues, etc. (I have a cable modem, and terminals set up).

2. I feel that anyone who applies chemicals commercially should be licensed. We teach at least one class per year at our shop, and provide testing from the state DEP to further help the cause.

3. There are probably labeling and (as noted) shipping issues across state lines, which make it difficult for companies to make blanket statements about products, availability and local pricing. Local vendors can help interpret regulations, product labels and resolve any questions within minutes, usually on the spot.