Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2005, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker Mower Gettin Weak in Reverse

I have a Walker 1999 with about 1,700 hrs. I noticed that it still seems to go pretty fast in forward, but it struggles when backing up steep hills. My newer machine will go twice as fast up the hill. I need some way to determine if the problem is the hydro, the gear drive or both. I had a failure of a gear drive a few years back and waited too long and the hyrdo burned up also. If the gear drive is a problem, I want to make sure the gear drive is in good shape before I do anything to the hydro.

Thanks.
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess you could take the pressure relief lever off, jack up the unit, and rotate the tire forward/backward to ensure there is no gear problem. Next be sure that there are no binds in the linkage, be sure it is greased and rotating. Lube the two springs in the linkage and be sure they are working. The sympton sounds like the hydro is going out. When I got my unit the fan was off one hydro and about 2 months later mine when out with same sympton.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

could just be a belt starting to slip with the extra pressure of the hill. replace that first.

SFLQPRU President

L.G.U.!
*iowaflag*
:sfl flag:
Old 10-08-2005, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had problems with the spring getting weak and replaced it. The problem went away and the machine was like new. Also as stated it never hurts to check the belt too.
I know that 1700 hours is quite a bit so don't rule out hydro problems but that is the expensive fix. Did you do regular maintenance on the machine?
Once a year I replace all fluids and I have been using Mobil 1 for all. So far so good. The wheel motors usually have many shavings on the magnetic plug on both the top and bottom. Let us know what you find.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I checked the belt as suggested by a couple of posters. First I looked at the old unit and compared it to a newer unit. The belt idler was almost down to the other side of the belt where there was a gap of about 1-1/2" on the newer model. I swapped the belts and it worked like new. I then put a new belt on the newer machine. Thanks for the responses. Another problem solved by Lawnsite members. Hope I can help someone else next time.
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.