Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2005, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Catcher for an Ariens Zoom 1740

When last I checked, you had no catcher yet for this machine (just prototypes)...so a few months have passed and I'm checking again.

Also, I curious...I'm not sure how my machine's deck is labeled (whether it's a full floating deck or not) It has chains supporting one end, and it slides within links on the other end. What happens when you hook a catcher on it? Won't the combined weight of the catcher and the grass pull the right side of the deck down towards the turf, and at the same time, pull/push the left side up away from the ground?
Old 10-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Sponsor

Hi Andygold,
I just had a chance to look at a zoom 1740 at the Louisville trade show over the weekend. We won't be able to do a catcher for this mower, because the deck is way inside the wheelbase and gas tank edge (meaning the catcher would hit the gas tank or wheel- it goes straight back from the discharge on the mower). I think you will have to go with a rear style bagger for this mower. wish I could help-

Peter Andonian, Lawnsite Sponsor
Accelerator Industries
http://www.AcceleratorIndustries.com
800-984-9410
Old 10-19-2005, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

If you did make one, what happens to the deck leveling as the catcher would fill with grass? Would the right side go down and the left side go up?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Sponsor

It depends quite a bit on the weight of the mower deck and how it is suspended from the main chassis. A good test is to put your foot down on the edge of the mower and give a push. If it is very easy to move the deck you can expect the catcher to angle the deck a bit as it fills. On the heavy commercial decks the deflection is much less. The other thing that effects the deck besides weight is how it is suspended. If it is a fixed deck, there will be very little problem. Also, even if it is a floating deck, if the chains holding the deck are near the edges, it will be harder to tip. If the chains holding the deck are nearer the center, it is easier to pivot the deck when you put weight on one side.
The other big factor is what type of grass you are mowing and how wet is is. There is a great variation in weight depending on moisture content to the lawn.

Peter Andonian, Lawnsite Sponsor
Accelerator Industries
http://www.AcceleratorIndustries.com
800-984-9410