Register free!

Old 10-06-2005, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Small chipper to condense shrub trimmings

Is any one using a small chipper/shredder to condense shrub and small tree trimmings? I was considering mounting a small chipper to a stake bed so when we trim (not hedge) shrubs we can go longer between dumps. We have a lot of woody ornamentals that take up a lot of capacity but not much weight. I would like to know if any one is doing something similar and what machine they are using. And finally is it worth the grief?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My big concern is that given the size of the machine I want it is what a homeowner would buy, but I would be using it daily 8 months of the year. So I would need a commercial unit. I haven't seed one around here, just homeowner models. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener
My big concern is that given the size of the machine I want it is what a homeowner would buy, but I would be using it daily 8 months of the year. So I would need a commercial unit. I haven't seed one around here, just homeowner models. Any feedback would be appreciated.
My belief in a chipper is this. The engine is the pudding. The "blade" is basically a big assed disk with a slit in it and whatnot with the small "blade" cutters.

If you want something that you think will last longer, either get one with a commercial grade engine on it or buy a homeowner model and then put an engine with a cast sleeve on it or get a Vanguard model and stick it on there.

I would however stay away from the models that use plastic type materials for the chute and feed side.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener
I bought a Mighty Mac 10hp chipper/shredder this past summer. It exceeds my expectations. I think they classify it as light commercial/heavy duty homeowner. The shredder can handle up to 1" dia. and the chipper up to 3" dia. The engine is 10 hp Briggs Intek I/C. The design hasn't changed since the 60's. I tend to push chippers to the limit and it didn't burp. It has 4 pneumatic tires and I paid about 1500.00 for it. They also sell a tow behind model with a Vanguard 18hp and bigger capacity for about 4000.00. Don't let thesize fool you. Good luck. Matt
Old 10-07-2005, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have one from TSC a homeowner model and use it for exactly what you described. It works great to reduce the volume on debri but it only gets used 1-2 times a yr. Had it for about 10 yrs and might have 150 hrs on it. never had any problems, But I doubt it would hold up to daily work and its also small if you want to save time.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My neighbor had a small chipper. It looked like a waste of time. I bought a Morbark 2090 9 inch. I use it for limbing up trees and cutting shrubbery way back. Nothing less would do IMHO.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2005, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette
My neighbor had a small chipper. It looked like a waste of time. I bought a Morbark 2090 9 inch. I use it for limbing up trees and cutting shrubbery way back. Nothing less would do IMHO.

Sweet
Old 10-12-2005, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That machine there is NOT a waste of time. I have a friend who rented one one time so I used it on that Sunday to take care of the limbs of 4 tall spruce trees I took down in my yard. Cool machine.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I think they are great to have. Never had a problem with mine. I have an old Promark 6" disc chipper mounted to the front of a dual axle trailer with a dump box on the back of it. I get to unhook it and get my truck back at end of day. Plus, I converted the air intake to a leaf vacuum which also works great! I have a smaller niche in the tree market so for me it's perfect!
My only advice/caution for you is that i've found that it's the shrubs, like juniper, cotoneaster, holly, etc that can be a real bear to chip. Those shrubs like to grow all knotty and curly which makes it tough to feed into the chipper. But i say go for it.
Kurtis
KMS Outdoor Services