Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-28-2005, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Seed selection

How much better are the genetic blends that are coming out? Are these more expensive certified genetic varieties that you can't find anywhere locally that much better compared to those available at Lesco or Scotts/Pennington that are available locally? I know you should use good seed but are some of these varieties worth hunting down and worth the price?

I just used Summit Seeds NuLawn blend: Bedazzled, Brooklawn, Midnight Star KBG, Paragon Rye, and Salem Creeping red on my yard. It does look good, great color, but is it worth the extra money and the added shipping costs compared to going to Lesco and getting some of their better seed varieties?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

What I have used in the past and still use is the NTEP studies. This kind of gives you an idea about how the seed rates in certain catagories (overall turf quality, color, etc.). You can compare the varieties in either seed blend obviously if they were tested.

The next thing to look at is the seed tag itself. You should look at the germ % and weed seed % for each variety. I've ran into some seed that rated a bit better on the NTEP studies, but only had a 85% germ rate vs. 94% germ rate. Personally, I would rather have a thicker lawn (using the higher germ seed) than to use the one that was rated .2 higher on the NTEP (as .2 really isn't much).

Hope that answers your question.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

It does kinda. What kind of long term results do you see with the NTEP tested seed compared to varieties that are not? After a few years, are they healthier than the lesser seed varieties?