Register free!

Old 10-27-2005, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This pricing difference is so bad all I can do is laugh!!!

I have a customer that has 6k maybe 7k of turf area in their lawn. They have they deceided to have the company that installed their irrigation system aerate the lawn this year instead of me which is fine with me because last year I hit their cable line and also a irrigation pipe that was about 1/2 below the grass. Both of which were fixed by the other companies at no expense to the customer or myself. Any ways this company charged $130.00 to aerate plus $50.00 for seed. I liked hearing this price because it means that I can justify my price of $110.00 on these size lawns for two passes when aerating. Their is a kid in my neighborhood that just cut an old customer of mines lawn today for $40.00 when I was charging $45.00 per cut. I asked him if the customer inquired about aerating and he said yes that he quoted $50.00 because he had a couple houses in the court. Now this property is every bit of 12k sf and he is only charging $50 bucks and leaving all of that money on the table plus he is not offering to seed it. So in my eyes by the time that he pays the $138.00 for a day of renting a slit drive aerator and paying his guy $8 to $10 to spend about 45 minutes to 1 hour on this, plus only going over the lawn once not twice to get the 9 to 15 holes per sf. I started thinking about his price and just had to laugh, I would rather sit at home then aerate a lawn of that size for $50 bucks.

Oh well let him have it for that money.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When he realizes that he is paying to work he'll understand what "school of hard knocks" means.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it's sad to say, but trial and error.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not ashamed to say I'm a graduate of that school as well. Made lots of mistakes over the years:blush: