Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-29-2005, 11:30 AM
Natural Impressions Natural Impressions is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 171
Thatch and reseed in November

Hey guys....here's a question for you. Right now it is October 21st. I just completed 2 areation jobs( grounds were still very soft from amount of rains we had.). I have one more week before I am married and go on my honeymoon for 2 weeks so I am in a very tight squeeze to dethatch and seed these jobs ( and with the frost hitting for the past few night I don't feel comfortable even doing it right now, cold nights warm days). I am thinking of holding off on the thatch and seed until the 2nd half of November so the seed won't germinate until spring. Is this a good idea? Or should I just wait for both until the spring. Let me know of some of your input. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-29-2005, 04:50 PM
fga's Avatar
fga fga is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: S.I., NY
Posts: 2,447
congrats on the wedding, good luck. best move i ever made..

i think we're all in the same boat with this. its a tough call, seeding now, or waiting, especially when you throw the idea of pre emergents in the spring, and the amount of crabgrass we all had this year. as of now, about half of my thatch and seed list is done, and i'm most likely only going to do the ones that really push for it now. other then that, i may just do the leaves and seed in the spring. the houses i did 2 weeks ago, came up pretty good, but now way in their entirety.
we're supposed to go back up in to the upper 60's this week, so if that stays consistant, then i'll be doing more very shortly.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Natural Impressions Natural Impressions is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 171
I am going to hold off on my reseeding until the spring but is it worth removing the thatch this fall? I have one client whose lawn was badly affected by the summer. I areated his lawn this fall and will areate it again in the spring. Should I remove the thatch now are just wait until the spring?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-03-2005, 09:45 AM
turfcobob turfcobob is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 877
Thatch....IF it is less than .5 inch thick just leave it. Let it bread up naturally. Aerate the@#$%^ out of it and wait..

Seeding is another game. Late fall (Nov/Dec) seeding is always a gamble. You can up your odds if you aerate the hell out of the lawn first, put out the seed using a good verticut (slicing) seeder. This will cover and get some of the seed into the holes where it will be protected for the winterover so it can germinate in the spring. But still iffy especially if there is quite a bit of moisture. Some warm days in the late fall early winter may confuse the seed. So it is still a gamble. If you go in in the early spring beware of the moisture problem. Using a slit seeder in wet conditions is not good as it tends to ball up the seed in mud. It has to be dry to seed properly.

Turfcobob
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 AM.

Page generated in 0.08721 seconds with 9 queries