Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2000, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering how many of you do large<br>sub division jobs.Mainly common areas,parks,<br>ect. I have taken on a medium sized <br>sub division job,which is worth good dollars<br>and am now chasing another one. So what sort<br>of gear do you guys over there use on them?<br>Is there a lot of that type of work over <br>there? Good dollars in it?<p>Karl<br>
Old 04-22-2000, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The company I work for does common area mowing for townhouse subdivisions, condos and mixed housing sub divisions. We have about 50 walk-behinds, mostly 48&quot; I think, and at least a half dozen ZTRs. We have all of the small equipment too: 21&quot; trim mowers, weed-eaters, blowers, edgers, bed-edgers, and the like. We also do the chemical applications, plantings,mulching, renovations and snow-plowing so we try to cover all of the maintenance needs. Its a very competititive bid situation and we dedicate a lot of effort to good communication with the property managers and Homeowners Association (HOA) board representatives. We do a lot of record-keeping so that we can answer service questions that may be raised by the client and provide documentation for the work that is performed. This helps with the problems that are being discussed about service. Its not an easy type of work---has plenty of challenges, but if you really track your job-costs and don't just guess, you can make money. Just don't expect to get many of the bids that you put out unless you've bid too low. <p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>
Old 04-23-2000, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lanelle, Thanks for the info,we are on a much<br>smaller scale than you guys.2 push mowers,<br>1 rider and various smaller gear.We are growing however and are looking for more<br>of this type of work here. <br>Thanks<p>Karl
Old 04-23-2000, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lanelle, <br>What CO. do you work for?<p>Homer
Old 04-23-2000, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Homer, <br>I work for Springfield Nursery Inc. in Springfield, VA, near D.C. as a landscape designer. My husband also has a small residential grounds maintenance business so I get to see a broad scope of this industry and its challenges. I am also active in green industry events in the area so that networking also helps temper my perspective.<br><p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>