Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-19-2000, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I work alone and have for the last 5 years partially because I have another job on the fire department and my schedule is screwy. The other reason is that I sell my business on personal service, I go to all lawns that I have accounts for. I pick up some permium business because the college kids had races on the customers lawn. I would like to someday have a helper but I still would have to be on each lawn. I am not saying it is bad to have crews and employees but the mix has to be right, you have to have a foreman that is just like you. I appreciate the companies that have super employees and many crews but in my situation the way I do it works for me. <br>I recently had the opportunity to have my brother-in law help me during a day in the dethatching season and we kicked butt on time and it looked good. He is from out of town and visiting but he asked to help, I wish he stayed for a few more days.<br>Whatever works for you is whats right and I am glad I had the opportunity to try with a helper, if the right situation arises I might change.
Old 04-22-2000, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I enjoy working alone but I feel my work improves with a little help. I can focus on small detail without rushing out of a property because i feel i 'did enough'. also, i've been doing this for 17 years and sometimes becoming a laborer again is not the way to expand my business and knowledge. I do have my thoughts of scaling back on labor and instead of pointing my finger , I can get more involved and not get lazy. cheers.
Old 04-23-2000, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm curious to know what the &quot;one man operations&quot; back-up plans are in case of illness or injury. I'm also a one man operator and I have thought of this a few times. When I get sick with the flu or some other minor illness I just call my customers and tell them I will get to them as soon as I can, haven't had a problem yet. I feel like it's just a matter of time before something major comes up though. I have thought of taking out a disability policy for any major illness or injuries but haven't as yet.
Old 04-23-2000, 10:00 AM

I dont see how some people can get lonely doing this job. Unless you just have alot of commmercial property. I have to go through a maze of customer yimmer yammering when I get paid after finishing the job. I swear i could get another yard in if it wasnt for this. But it has its place in building customer loyalty. <br>Whenever I feel any kinda of sickeness coming on I cant wait to get to work. Because all that physical exertion and heat generated will cure about anything. I havent missed a day of work because of illness in the 10 years I have been doing this. I had the flu along time ago before starting in this business. I just went to the spa and lifted weights and i felt alot better and continued to get better. Probably gave it to everyone else lol. I think the worse thing you can do when sick is stay in bed.
Old 04-23-2000, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lee,<br>I have also wondered what I would do in an injury situation. Illness is like a rain day, but a broken leg would really mess things up. I would have to hire someone, although that would be a pain in the arse, better than the alternative (mowing ten foot high grass upon healing) or going out of biz.
Old 04-23-2000, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Colds I can deal with, I get an annual flu and pneumonia shot, I worked with three broken ribs last fall after falling out of the back of the truck, heck nothing the docs can do for that anyways just had to be careful how I moved my arm, if I broke an arm or leg or whatever I suppose Id deal with it, thats why I pay $600 a year for disability insurance, Im always turning away customers so if I lost a few Id have to start taking new work. <p>Overall, for me its not a big concern. Your chances of getting sick are less since youre not cooped up in an office anyways. Its the people contact that spreads germs not the great outdoors.<p>Bill