Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-11-2005, 08:47 AM
LwnmwrMan22 LwnmwrMan22 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,367
I can go and get my own wood for $10 / full cord on a couple of different connections that I've got within 10 miles of my house. 2 different people have about 80 acres that's all dying out from oak wilt.

This is what I do in the winter when I'm not plowing.

It takes about 2 months, working 5-6 hour days with 2 people to get 40-50 cords down and hauled home.

I've got a 16' dump trailer where we can haul 3 full cord / trip, so we usually just haul one load a day home, or leave it until my wife has to work during the day, and my dad babysits, then I run 4-5 loads home that day.

I can also get it hauled in like Buck, but down here it's getting to be $90-100 / full cord in 8' lengths, so it's starting to get to be to the point where that isn't really profitable.

Last year it cost me about $75 / full cord after collecting the wood and processing it, and then about another $30 / full cord this year to deliver it, with how diesel is.

My normal run is about 100 miles round trip, but I usually do 3-4 stops / trip, so it's not too bad.

Here is what I use to make the wood.....
Attached Images
 
__________________
Give thanks, for all that He has given.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-11-2005, 11:44 AM
muddstopper's Avatar
muddstopper muddstopper is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: transition zone
Posts: 2,343
LwnmwrMan22,

How about a little info on that machine or a good link. I have been considering firewood sales for some time now. When I am seeding development roads I always see lots of logs that have been left by the grading contractor. These log piles adverage 2 to three cords and sometimes a lot more, if processed, each. Most of the times the logs are laying beside the road an easy pickup with a knuckle boom loader. The developer cant get anyone to remove them so they just lay there until they rot or a new homeowner decides they need a little firewood.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-11-2005, 12:45 PM
LwnmwrMan22 LwnmwrMan22 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddstopper
LwnmwrMan22,

How about a little info on that machine or a good link. I have been considering firewood sales for some time now. When I am seeding development roads I always see lots of logs that have been left by the grading contractor. These log piles adverage 2 to three cords and sometimes a lot more, if processed, each. Most of the times the logs are laying beside the road an easy pickup with a knuckle boom loader. The developer cant get anyone to remove them so they just lay there until they rot or a new homeowner decides they need a little firewood.

www.multitekinc.com
www.rrsinc.net is where I bought my machine from.

It was a year old with 200 hours on it. $43,500.

New they're around $55k.

There are different brands, just as mowers that are cheaper, but after looking at all of them, and comparing, you still just get what you're paying for.
__________________
Give thanks, for all that He has given.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-18-2005, 06:55 PM
M RASCOE&SONS's Avatar
M RASCOE&SONS M RASCOE&SONS is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: OLDSAYBROOK CONNECTICUT
Posts: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22
www.multitekinc.com
www.rrsinc.net is where I bought my machine from.

It was a year old with 200 hours on it. $43,500.

New they're around $55k.

There are different brands, just as mowers that are cheaper, but after looking at all of them, and comparing, you still just get what you're paying for.
thats a nice machine ,you should advertise processing for other people in the business and charge them by the amount of cords you do for them.i say this because my suplier rents his machine and operator out to other companies and gets $45per cord with a 200 cord minimum.with your costs for collecting, processing ,and delivery being $75 and $30 =$105 its gonna take alot of wood sales to make the money back .just talk to some of the wood guys and you might be able to even get som good logs plus the pay for each cord.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-18-2005, 08:06 PM
LwnmwrMan22 LwnmwrMan22 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by M RASCOE&SONS
thats a nice machine ,you should advertise processing for other people in the business and charge them by the amount of cords you do for them.i say this because my suplier rents his machine and operator out to other companies and gets $45per cord with a 200 cord minimum.with your costs for collecting, processing ,and delivery being $75 and $30 =$105 its gonna take alot of wood sales to make the money back .just talk to some of the wood guys and you might be able to even get som good logs plus the pay for each cord.

Yes, you're right, but all the other guys around here have them as well.

Maybe not as new of a machine, but a processor none the less.

I'm not looking to get rich with it soon, just looking for something that'll let me be able to produce wood until I'm 70 or so without too much labor.

Right now the firewood business is funded more by the snowplowing and lawn service.

I realize that with the $60k or so I've spent on my set up over the next 5 years, that I could have just put the money in the bank, but with a machine like this, and still being in my early 30's, I'm able to get it paid for, and then keep the money down the road.
__________________
Give thanks, for all that He has given.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 PM.

Page generated in 0.08780 seconds with 10 queries