Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2005, 02:59 PM

Tip Of The Day - 11/25/05 - 40 Plus Rule

I'm sure many of you have heard the catch-phrase - "work smarter, not harder"....

Now, it appears the new catch phrase is - "work smarter and harder"

The 40 Plus rule states that all the work you do in a week up to 40 hours is necessary for survival - all hours worked above and beyond 40 hours is an investment into your success

The average SELF-MADE millionaire works 59 hours a week, with some working 65-80 hours a week, 7 days a week... is that anyway to live? Depends on how well you manage your time outside of work.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I prefer work less and let your money work for you. 60 Hrs a wk? Moneys only gonna be enjoyed by the beneficiaries
Old 11-25-2005, 05:20 PM

I know what you are saying Mac - many different ways to look at it and feel about it....have your money work for you, create residual income opportunities, make money while you sleep, etc... all good ways to look at things...the trick - do it all....work smart, work hard, work more, work less, make money work for you, make money on vacation, make money with other people's money....this kinda leads into the saying...

"If you love what you do you will never work a day in your life"....

My wife tells me I work too much. Even if I'm not in my office I have a book in front of me or a pad and pen or something going on...big thing for me right now is learning how to separate "church and state".... for some reason my wife doesn't get as excited as I do when a new company is introduced to the industry or my Turf Magazine arrives a day early.... I don't get it - at least not yet.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't get it - at least not yet.
Another 25-35 yrs and you will
Old 11-25-2005, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I aggree with Mac. I was growing steadily, gaining employees, doubling and trippling the size of the business every year. Would work from April 1 to July 4th without a day off 4:30am to 8:00pm. And then I had children and I looked at my life and how miserable I was. Fired all the unappreciative employees who were sucking the life out of me, Kept 3 managers and we went on from there. Now I drive my daughter to school in the am go to work around 8:00 out by 4:00 or so, go home and tend to the flower beds and play with the kids, and I still make the same amount of money. Its all about perspective, whats really important.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cat's in the cradle...
Old 12-29-2005, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

You are who you think!

If you want to be an 8 to 5 person, then you have to put the systems in place to be it. However, if you want to think like a millionarie or more, you have to educate yourself on what the self-millionaries have done through the years. Read their biographies and look at their business models and products/services. Learn from them.

I know, building a business takes hard work, long hours and headaches. 60-80 hour work-weeks are sometimes the standard and there is no time for personal and family life. I know, the latter is my lifestyle now.

What is to be successful for you? You only know the answer.
Who do you want to be? How much money do you want to make?
How do you want to live your life? You, only you, know the answers.
Whatever they are, you have to work, create, write, implement, research, fail and learn to be whoever you want to be.

In the profession, we see people with a truck and a couple ramps or enterprises such as Tru-Green or Brickman and a lot of companies in between the two. It is up to the vision and ultimate goal of the owner(s) of these businesses where they are today and where they will be in a future.

Building a business takes effort, any endeavour is a challenge and you must be prepared physologically to endure them.

Ed Correa, CLT
Terra Landscaping
Old 12-29-2005, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams
My wife tells me I work too much.

Ding ding ding. First warning sign and more signs to come. Wife wants you to spend more time with her instead of working on the business.

Oh no my wife just read this while I was typing it. My wife says I know how to give out good advice but not take it.

Bill
Old 12-29-2005, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams

Depends on how well you manage your time outside of work.

Play Smarter/ Live Longer
Attached Images