Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2001, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get liability insurance right away. When i started i was licensed, but not insured, i just automatically figured i couldnt afford it, but when i broke my first sliding glass door, the customer was impressed that i had insurance. I say first because there has been a few.
Old 04-16-2001, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Addict

Look around before entering vehicle. I have been known to leave something behind from time to time. Always carry a tool box. I carry an already cut piece of weed eater line in my pocket. I hate them long walks to the truck.
Old 04-16-2001, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone seems to have just about covered the all the dos,and don'ts.I always carry a homemade spring device i made out of a piece on cable to grab the springs easy off and on. Eric what Double D was saying about his Snapper Hydro is the same thing in my manual i always engage them a full throttle,have been doing this for over 8yrs now never had a problem,When this one goes ill be getting another just like it.Cuts so much better than my scag it unreal. Even a friend of mine who is a lawnmower mechanic said to engage them at full throttle,and he is a very fine mechanic. But i do it different with my Z-Master i engage a least throttle possible. Marks Mowing Service
Old 04-17-2001, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Always double check, triple check if your not that smart, your trailer to truck connection! Cross your safety chains too, if it does come disconnected the chains act as a cradle to hold the tongue.

If you lose your trailer then none of the above really matters...........

If you lose your trailer you better have good insurance and a good lawyer.........

Check your lights before leaving................

Check your oil levels.........daily......this stuff ain't cheap.......

Oh ya, hug your wife and kids every day and before you leave & tell them you love them...........you might run into somebody that didn't check their connection!
Old 04-17-2001, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Always wear some sort of safety glasses while trimming and even for blowing. And also, there isn't a day where I have forgotten to protect my ears from the equipment noise. You want to be able to hear in the future right???? Wear ear protection!!!!
Old 04-17-2001, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep your mouth in check on customers property. Nothing like spitting out a flurry of cuss words to look over your shoulder and see them standing there.

Also, it doesn't sound very professional for customers to hear inappropriate things.

Sunblock (I'm working on this myself)

Don't be in too big of a hurry that quality gets sacrificed. Only put your name on the best you can do.
Old 04-17-2001, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how bout a spare tire on the trailer (for the trailer).maybe buy a tire plug kit (the kind with the sticky brown rope stuff).
Old 04-17-2001, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Dont forget to latch the trailer lock

Do fill the gas cans on the ground NOT in the bed of the truck

Do get Insurance

Do wave at the competition

dont forget to raise the trailer ramp

Do raise the trailer jack ALL the way up b4 moving it!

Do have fun !
Old 04-17-2001, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Amen, I agree with all of the safety stuff.

Something I like to do is keep a couple of wound trimmer head spools in my toolbox. That way if I run out of string mid property I can be back to trimming in just a few moments and I don't have to stand in the heat and try to wind all that string.

Also, I made a little sign to go on all my mowers that says "DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID." It may sound silly but when you see it six or seven hours a day it does kind of sink in.
Old 04-17-2001, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a long list yesterday, but most of it's already here.

1. Make a list of cross reference parts. (bearings, belts, bushings, and pulleys, etc.) In other words, get an aftermarket parts catalog and find out which part numbers are the same as other manufacturers. When your dealer doesn't have the parts in stock, you can go to the other mfg dealer and cross to their part number to get what you need. As someone mentioned, downtime STINKS!

2. Try to buy all your oil, trimmer line, belts, filters, and whatever you know you will need for a year at one time. You can get a better deal in bulk.

3. Pay yourself first. No, I don't mean salary. I mean invest. 10-15% off the top. Don't convince yourself you can't afford to. You can't afford not to. BTW, if you don't have winter income, set up an account for that also.

4. Make sure you communicate with your customers, family, and the people working with you. People generally don't like change, and wives like it least. Let them know what's going on. It's not whether things will go wrong, they will. It's how you handle it when they do.

5. Make time for yourself and your family. I was working 60-80 hours a week. My son wanted to take out the boat, but I never had time. It didn't take many trips to the principal's office for me to get it. Again, you can't afford not to.

6. Appreciate the good years, and prepare for the lean ones. Thank God for all that you have.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA