Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-24-2005, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Web page hits

I am considering starting up a web page and was wondering do you get a lot of hits to your sites and has anyone mentioned that they saw your site and then you got work from them because of the site? Do you have your website on your trucks & trailer?

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadams
I am considering starting up a web page and was wondering do you get a lot of hits to your sites and has anyone mentioned that they saw your site and then you got work from them because of the site? Do you have your website on your trucks & trailer?

YES to all....You need to have one in this day of age..Just one more resource for your customer to use..
Old 12-29-2005, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Tadams - I started the website last Feb. but I didn't get any calls from it until I started adjusting my text and meta tags. then at the end of the year I was getting as many calls from the website as the ads in the two papers I had ads in.
I am having new business cards with the website on it. I'm going to redo the truck lettering and add it end of 2006.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can design your site and text to rank high enough, like the first page of a search, you probably will get work that way.

Hits are not the same as visitors. If you search "oregon tree service", my site, for you, may be on page 100 about 2000 results down the line. My web stats page will count that search of yours as a "hit" even if you didn't see it.

But, if someone clicks on my web page link, then it's a visitor. I think vsitor traffic is more relevant.

Yesterday, I got 3356 hits, but only 128 visitors, and no phone calls. I get far less work off the site in Medford, like one person every 2 to 3 weeks. Here, fewer people use the web for our work, but more in the yellow pages or other ads. Flyers is hugely good for me here; better than up in Portland. But in Portland, I'd get 2 calls a week from web searchers.

That is no dissappointment, because it leaves my site with my original intent - a site that explains my service with advice pages for my customers.

Because I put my site on my flyers and ads, that brings people to my site via advertising. Then, if the site is complete, with background, the site still does the job.

Good ranking or not on the internet - having no site today is a bit like having no phone number 40 years ago.

The web site is so useful, it's remarkable. I can put pages in my web site that are hidden, for the use of certain people - pages without internal links where I give out the link.

For a minimal cost, you can circumvent the internet search thing regarding you versus competitors - GOOGLE ADS.

The come up on the right side.

This is MY OPINION....for those. I don't need them now - I rank high. Search "Portland Arborist" or "Medford Landscape Designer" and you'll see.

Search "Medford Tree Service" and see if the Tree MD guy comes up in a Google ad.

Again, my opinion is (if I'm going to do it)....

Let's say I'm after Portland in a Google ad. I'll:

1. Top line of ad is "Portland Tree Service" - not my name. They are not looking for "M. D. Vaden", they're looking for Portland Tree Service.

2. Make multiple ad groups.

Don't have one ad group pop up an ad for both Tree Service and Arborist, or for Landscape and Lawn Care.

Use a city or suburb name in the ad and IN YOUR KEYWORDS you list to trigger it. If I only put TREE SERVICE in my triggering tree words, but the ad displays PORTLAND TREE SERVICE, then if someone in San Diego types TREE SERVICE it will display my ad. I contacted out of state services to tell them their ad is coming up in Oregon when I do test searches to see who's ranking in our area.

Someone may not CLICK on an out of area ad that was not keyworded right, but here's the deal - the ad will display tons of times with few clicks and that SCREWS UP the click-through-rate; basically the ratio of displays to clicks.

If the click through rate gets bad enough, Google willl disable the ad.

So make one ad for BEAVERTON STUMP GRINDING and a separate for PORTLAND STUMP GRINDING.

For the Beaverton ad, use a variety of keywords to trigger it. People my go singular or plural.

Beaverton stump removal
Beaverton stump grinding
Beaverton stump grinders

Then have an ad like PORTLAND LAWN PLANTING.
Maybe a separate like PORTLAND SOD

By the way - you CAN'T USE ALL CAPS in those ads, no semicolons. I think a period or comma is allowed.

Distinct different ads for each major vocabulary difference and each catergory of the green industry.

A Google Ads campaign account allows a bunch of separate ads without extra charge. You should only get charged for actual clicks on the ad.

I don't recommend the option that allows your ad to display in related websites like forums.

My ad was displaying in the landscape design forum of the Garden Web and half the users there are landscape designers - big waste for me, because they click on the ad out of curiousity, which costs me.

You can set a limit like a $1 a day. When Google ads was useful, I'd get about 1 job per week or two in the warm season and never dished out more than $8 in any month.

Overture (Yahoo's got it now) was a drag. Too high a minimum fee and not as good as Google.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 01-03-2006, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the great info. I will definitely use it.

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just found this bit:

http://listings.local.yahoo.com/

Far as how many hits I don't think you'll get tons, but it's certainly a nice start and the price is right.

Last edited by topsites; 01-10-2006 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
I just found this bit:

http://listings.local.yahoo.com/

Far as how many hits I don't think you'll get tons, but it's certainly a nice start and the price is right.
Just added mine . Thanks for the link.