Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2006, 01:35 AM
Senior Moderator

hunting with an atlatl

Only a few states have legalized the hunting of game with atlantls most in the southern states. Pennsylvania so far isn't one of them. However Members of Pennsylvania's Atlatl Society have asked Pennsylvania Game Commissioners to add this state to that list, though, and that could happen.
Rumors are, animal rights activists will protest.
You think hunting with atlantls should be legalized? I don't.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I think anyone that could successfully hunt and kill with a spear deserves the right too. I think a proficiency test should determine the right to use but i think the same should be in affect for all weapons.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard about this & don't think there's anything wrong with it. The hunting skill level involved to be successful is phenomenal & when you come right down to it.......it's the ultimate way to take game unless you're carrying only a knife or a rock.

Actually, it's a lot more "sporting" than a person sitting in a tree stand with a rifle that can hit pennies at 300 yards. And given the enormous number of injured, maimed, wasted animals (deer) left in the field/woods every year by rifle hunters that are poor shots & don't know what they're doing......the kill ratio might actually improve with a skilled hunter.

My eldest daughter has a field trip last year as part of their study on Alogonquian Indians. Part of the set up at the State park was putting stuffed animals in the field & having the kids have a go with the spears those indians hunted with. I can't remember the name of the device, but what the indians did was notch the back end of the spear & use another stick, sort of like a handle, which was also notched to give mechanical advantage in flinging the spear. Talk about tough! Sheesh, those targets were set up close & it was very, very tough to even get close to one. Made you appreciate. It was cool.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr grass n Hi tides
I can't remember the name of the device, but what the indians did was notch the back end of the spear & use another stick, sort of like a handle, which was also notched to give mechanical advantage in flinging the spear. Talk about tough! Sheesh, those targets were set up close & it was very, very tough to even get close to one. Made you appreciate. It was cool.
That is what Jodi is talking about, an atlatl. Yes, legalize them for hunting. I've been to competitions and the guys that were using them were very proficient. A great deal of practice is involved. One can't just pick one up and expect to be successful right from the get go.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 01-25-2006, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassmechanic
That is what Jodi is talking about, an atlatl. Yes, legalize them for hunting. I've been to competitions and the guys that were using them were very proficient. A great deal of practice is involved. One can't just pick one up and expect to be successful right from the get go.
thanks, Mike. Guess I shoulda been taking notes on the field trip, lol lol. yeah, I'll tell you what if using one of those proficiently separates you & a meal I guarantee you get good fast!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom
You think hunting with atlantls should be legalized? I don't.
Ms. JODINE--do you think hunting with a bow and arrow should be permitted?

how about hunting itself?

GEO