Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2000, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Greetings, and thanks for reading. Have a question regarding the blades on an older mower I have. Picked the mower up last year after it had been sitting for 5-8 years. It's a '75 vintage John Deere rear engine #68 which probably has no bearing on my problem... Question is, when I mow grass and cut 2-4 inches off, the mower discharges 2-4 inch long waste. My newer push mowers, 21 inch units, even on discharge, seem to mulch the refuse up quite a bit. I think that the blades on there are fairly fresh, but still close to 10 years old. Would a pair of mulching blades on there do a better job of making a more presentable discharge? The way it is, almost looks like a hay field after a sickle mower has been thru there. <p>Thanks for any suggestions, (short of keeping the old blades and getting a new mower!).<p>Brad
Old 04-17-2000, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mulching blades are exactly what you need.
Old 04-17-2000, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you guys sharpen your mower blades? Right now i use a belt sander and a bench grinder. the bench grinder doesnot do that great of job cause i can't set my blade on anything and the motor is in the way. the belt sander works could but i have to change the once or twice a month. I have to sharpen my blades once a week. Any ideas?
Old 04-18-2000, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Bridges: That's a good question. Maybe start a new post with that question to catch the attn of the pro's, who may not read it in this post. I think I saw someplace that you can take a little pc of wood cut to the proper angle and put it on your grinder and you are all set, but not sure where I saw it. will have to look around.<p>Brad