Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2000, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I was talking over the phone today with a local dealer about a new ZTR. I explained that I'm cross between the Exmark Lazer or a Bobcat. I asked if he delt in Exmark to which his reply was that he had a Husky which is made by the same company. Does anybody out there own one? is it the same machine? how would you campare it to the Bobcat.<p>Thanks<br><p>----------<br>Jim White<br>
Old 04-17-2000, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim,<br>Husky bought Yazoo/Kees. Their Z is identical to the Exmark and the Toro. They're about $1000 more with the Husqvarna name on it, too.<br>Bill
Old 04-17-2000, 08:08 PM

I looked at a small Husky Z turn today. NOT anything I would buy. The deck support linkage is going to be very prone to wear that will let the deck hang crooked. This was a small machine, 42 or 48 inch cut and 16 hp. Maybe the bigger ones are better but I'm not impressed. I'll stick to my Exmark.
Old 04-17-2000, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am probably one of the few Yazoo/Kees ZTmax users here They are quite similar to the Lazer Z but they have subtle differences. The Y/K Mini Max and small Husqvarna, on the other hand, seem to have very little in common with the Lazer HP, and Alan, I completely agree, I am not impressed with the little one. Kees seemed to build this one on their own, without help from Exmark. <p>The reason, in my opinion, that the Lazer and ZTMax were so similar is as follows: Dick Tegtmeier, founder of Encore, and co founder of Exmark worked for FD Kees for several years before either of the others were started. All three are located in the small town of Beatrice, Nebraska. I think Kees and Exmark had a good relationship after he left. I think Exmark helped Kees out, afterall Kees was no real threat to Exmark after the Lazer came out. However when Toro bought Exmark, I don't think Toro knew to much about this. Exmark filed a lawsuit against Yazoo/Kees for certain patent infringements. The wording from Exmark on this matter pretty much says that they were forced into this by Toro. Exmark also won $125,600 from Textron for similar patents and it was worded much the same way. I doubt you will see another similar Exmark and Kees. This is pure speculation but I believe it is pretty much what happened.<br>