Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2000, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm getting ready to get a WB, either a lesco,or encore,or exmark (decisions, decisions) and instead of spending 350.00 on a velke, I wondered if i could fabricate one pretty easy, or if there's more to it than meets the eye.
Old 04-17-2000, 04:07 PM

I've nver done a Velke type sulky, but I have done a couple single wheel ones. These stay right behind the mower and the wheel casters so you can do true zero turns and back up with them as well. Not a real big deal to make if you have a bit of fabrication savvy. E-mail me directly and I can thoss a few obeservations at you form stuff I've discovered along the way.
Old 04-17-2000, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

BUY EXMARK...................................
Old 04-17-2000, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOOK FOR JUNGLE WHEELS ON EBAY..SOMEBODY POSTED THEY ARE SELLING FOR 150.00...IF THIS IS TRUE ITS NOT WORTH THE TIME AND POSSIBLE HEADACHES OF MAKING YOUR OWN.
Old 04-17-2000, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use a homemade sulky right now. Just find an old yard cart (the kind you pull behind a riding tractor), remove the bed, put a 4X6 on it for height and put a riding tractor seat on top of the 4X6. Then get a large piece of angle iron a couple of inches long, mount it to your machine, drill a 1/2 inch hole in the top of it, put a 3" long carraige bolt through the hole and run a nut up on it. Then drill a 3/16" (or whatever size it takes) hole through the bolt. Then bring the tongue of your new sulky to the bolt and slid it on, put a washer on and put a lynch pin through the hole you drilled in the bolt. Paint to match your machine. Total time to build: approx. 2 hours. Total investment: $5.00 for a can of spray paint. Send me an Email at AM Lawn Service@aol.com if you want a drawing.
Old 04-17-2000, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Go for the Exmark, and do yourself the favor now of getting the jungle wheels. If you want to be a pro you don't want to ride around on piece of scrap. And for those single wheeled things, there fine if you look down all the time or you don't mind busting your ankles.
Old 04-17-2000, 08:14 PM

Any trailer type sulky forces you to stretch and reach for the controls. Tiring and dangerous in my opinion. The Velke and tohers like it scare me with the thought of winding my feet up in the thing if I forget and try to back up. A single caster wheel (sit down type)that attaches to the mower with two points stays right behind the mower and you never have to stretch for the controls. Somebody makes one like that, I just can't remember who. The ones I have built use a large enough tire to ride fairly well and are pretty easy on the body by the end of the day. In addition yo give up no maneuvering ability with them.