Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-02-2006, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned a Walker and sold it. When I owned a Walker we did residential lawn maintianance. We no longer do any "grass cutting" strictly installs and grading. We have bought a SCAG 61 inch now. We use it exclusively to mow around the farm and our homes. For our application the scag works best. Speed is most important. My partner has 1/4 acre of pristine lawn. I have 3 acres of fair lawn. The walker is awesome for well kept nice lawns. (not good on slopes, even with the locking wheel they have as a option) it does not hold up to abuse or rough lawns. The GHS deck has aluminum gearboxes and even with shearpins they will be damaged and are expensive. If you hit a tennis ball just right you can damage them. Imagine a root or rock. We always put the blades on with a torque wrench to specs and bought three gearboxes. But the walker is a awesome machine for the nice lawns where quality not quantity is the issue. Nothing out there will do a better job. You can edge and blow before you mow and leave a nice job. Owning a walker pushed me out of lots of lawns because my clientel did not appreciate the job we did. They just wanted the grass mowed and we got underbid and lost several of our favorite accounts, hence we haven't mowed in over five years now. Another thing is the walker doesn't do well with curbs. It is difficult to cross them. They even sell a curb ramp to make this easier. You have to make a decision on what you want your machine to do. Its kind of like buying a boat. If you want to fish in the wind along banks in shallow water you buy a bass boat. If you want to do watersports and take the family to the lake every weekend you buy a open bow run about. Either will work ok for the other job but they have their strengths and weaknesses.