Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2006, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone Do Garbage for Condo's?

Hi guys,

I am putting in some bids for some condo complexes, 100 units, townhouse style. The city of Toronto says that the roads are to small for thier trucks and therefor they won't take it. Does anyone else do this work and are there any smart ways to charge for it? We pay around $100 a ton to dump, and we were thinking of charging $2 a unit for a max of two bags which should be less then a ton and we should make $100 for an hours work, but we are not sure if this is the best way to do it.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Jon
Old 02-08-2006, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

That doesn't sound like a very good deal to me...what about the cost of your truck, trailer, fuel, travel time, etc...around here it goes for about $3 US per week, but they are set up properly (trash trucks, etc) and have a lot more than 100 homes. I would say to make it worth your while, you would have to be around $5 per unit....what about permits, etc. to haul rubbish?

Besides, averaging 25 lbs of trash per unit times 100 is 1.25 tons????
Old 02-08-2006, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure, but I think our ton is more then your ton (imp vs metric). We don't need any permits, and I talked to another company and they said the market is about $2 a unit. We would also get $2 for recycling a week, and that is only $50 a ton to take.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure, but I think our ton is more then your ton (imp vs metric). We don't need any permits, and I talked to another company and they said the market is about $2 a unit. We would also get $2 for recycling a week, and that is only $50 a ton to take.

We are doing their lawn care and snow plowing and this would be part of the package.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

do you have service at your house? if so what do you pay for it? how do you plan to haul the trash away even if its 2 bags per unit thats still 200 bags thats alot of bags to put in a pick up or 1 ton dump and it will take alot more than an hour. i used to work for a trash company and our average route was 500-700 depending on area. and that took 2 guys 10-12 hours to do and that was with a real garbage truck that would compact everything down.even the small condo developments that we did i would take longer than an hour. and a 2 bag limit is not really going to be feasible unless its an old retiree village or something

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 02-09-2006, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

The Service at my house is paid out of taxes, so you don't really know what the true costs are. We think that we should be able to fit them all in a truck and trailer. The other company I talked to does a unit with 86 houses and says that most people only have one bag a week and he can fit everything into his 5500 dump without a problem.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If I won the bid I would be buying a used Single axle Trash truck. You can get an old one pretty cheap, but you HAVE to be able to work on them

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would definitly look into a small "rear" packer., less trips to the ladnfill or transfer station

I know I pay about 25 bucks a month for my single family home, thats two pickups per week, and one recycleing. plus rememebr that some time people will have "large" items, refers, h20 heaters, couches, ect. I get charged 25 for each item. Can't forget th Holidays, always bad for extra trash...
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2006, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith
I would definitly look into a small "rear" packer., less trips to the ladnfill or transfer station

I know I pay about 25 bucks a month for my single family home, thats two pickups per week, and one recycleing. plus rememebr that some time people will have "large" items, refers, h20 heaters, couches, ect. I get charged 25 for each item. Can't forget th Holidays, always bad for extra trash...
you must have read my mind, that's the route i'd be going, maybe alittle older though less $$$

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Th eother option woudl be to lease some sort of ground mounted packing machine and contract with a garbage company to hual the garbage on a regular basis. 1-2x per week...