Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2006, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have done several of these type of projects at various properties this past year. Usually they are due to islands that keep having problems with tire ruts due to high traffic locations at commercial props.

Our cost is btwn $o.o5-0.06 per lb for the stone. We use what is refered to as a "Pond Mix". It has stones that are 1-2' in diameter, down to 4" stones. We typically will line the bottom of the bed with fabric, to help with the dirt and and weeds. Then we stagger the placement of the larger stones, fill in with the remaining stones, and then lightly scatter 1-3" stones to fill in the little cracks and crevices. We find that the "Pond Mix" will spread about 80sq.ft. on average. (That is about a ton) Every market is different as far as their availability of stone, but good luck.

I will be on one of our recent jobs later today and will take a pic and post it later to show you what our finished product looks like.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks TScapes.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just an idea but if i were you i would get a ton of the stone your gonna use and show the customer first before having it delivered just so you dont get the "well i didnt think it was gonna be that big" .you also maybe able to convince the customer to replant the shrubs and make some more money doin it.good luck
Old 02-13-2006, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just called around and I can get the stone for as low as $10.50/ton. That puts my cost at around $710 WITH DELIVERY TO MY LOCATION. So based on that, any ideas to help me out with the bid????? Also, it runs me $145 a day for a bobcat, and I am guessing probably 2 days with that.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We must be talking about two completely different styles of river rock. Here are some pics of the style of rock I am refering to. I will also post some job pics a little later.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2006, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got my prices from a rock quarry. That is why my price is so much cheaper than from a landscaping business that sells mulch, rock, etc. They also refer to river rock as L Gravel (landscapers gravel/rock). The pics you provided are much larger stones that what I will be purchasing.