Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-09-2006, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Question What would you do?

Hello all:

I've been on here a couple times recently asking whether or not to go to college or just jump into the game and I've decided that college is going to be my choice and if I still want to do this stuff full time after, then I'll go from there. However right now I've been faced with a controversy. I've created a pretty good sided lawn care company over the years that has seasonal employees and all, but for college and until I'm sure this is what I want to do, I want to downsize and do it "solo" again. Currently I have 4 trucks that each had there purpose and worked together well, but since I'm going to go solo, I only really need one truck. I have a few options and can't decide what I should do. The four trucks I have are as follows: 1999 Chevy 3500 Crew-Cab, 1998 Chevy S-10 w/Snoway plow, 1999 GMC 3500HD w/9' BOSS, and 1997 3500HD w/9'2 BOSS V plow. I need a truck that can haul some good loads, carry some guys for those "bigger jobs", plow, and get good fuel mileage. Should I keep a 3500HD as my many work truck and get a car at a good price to drive to college and back to my shop area, or should I sell all 4 trucks and get a newer DURAMAX Diesel 2500HD? What would you do? Thanks for your thoughts! ~Emil
Old 02-09-2006, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of work are you looking to do. If you are working solo, you wouldn't need a crew cab though it might be nice to hang onto! Do you need a standard pickup or do you do enough work to justify a dump truck?

IMO I would keep the s-10 but either sell or trade in the other two trucks. I would look for a GMC 3500 ext. cab dump truck, 4x4 duramax diesel/allison auto. Maybe keep the v plow and put it on the front!! That is kinda what I am going to be doing whne I grow a bit larger! That way you will have a small truck to drive around, go on dates, etc and have a work truck big enough to carry a few people on the rare occasion you may need to! You will also be able to pull a good sized trailer, and haul the heavy loads!
Just my $.02 Good Luck!!!!!
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 02-09-2006, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea, that's another thought I had too. I just want to keep my expenises down however and debate on whether having two trucks to insure is worth the cost or whether picking up say a GM 2500HD or 3500 Ext.Cab 4x4 diesel would be enough? I want to be able to tow both regular bumper pull trailers and gooseneck trailers. Most of work will be done on the weekends just to make some extra cash during the school year and all summer and during longer breaks. As for dumping, I already have a dump trailer that works great for me, and if needed I could just pick up a dump insert for the seasons when you use it most. The biggest issue for me is that picking up a diesel is going to cost me some money, when I have both HD's almost paid off, but on the other side I can sell the HD's for what I paid for them and also with the trucks, they're all V8 454 gas engines that sure get thirsty. The s-10 has a V6 that's pretty good, but then again, do I need it if I pick up a loaded GM 2500HD or 3500 Ext.Cab 4x4 diesel? As for the plowing...I was planning on keeping my BOSS V anyways It's a great plow!
Old 02-10-2006, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Save on insurance, insure one truck as a part time vehicle. You should be able to get a break. I insured my ol' 78 chevy as my full time truck, and saved a boatload because of its low replacement value. My newer ford is the part timer with a higher replacement cost, but the lower use rate saved me a ton. It is debatable which one actually gets used more.

Your insurance agent should be able to assist you.

I got an EZ dumper with my chevy, it is great, and I can take it off if I ever decide to get another truck. EZ dumpers are nice because you arent limited to one truck. If one quits, put the dumper on another one. Downsides to this, I can't put very much weight in it. 4000 lbs max, but that is over the limit of my 2500 anyway.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm down to these two choices and not sure what to do. I'm going to be primarily working on weekends (seeing that I'll be in college full time) but may work somewhat during the week.

Should I...?
1) Keep both the 98 Chevy S-10 ZR2 w/Sno-way Plow & 99 GMC 3500HD 10' Flatbed w/ BOSS 9'2 V Plow
-or-
2) Sell all the Trucks (99 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab, 97 GMC 3500HD 10' Flatbed w/ BOSS 9' Plow, 98 Chevy S-10 ZR2 w/Sno-way Plow & 99 GMC 3500HD 10' Flatbed w/ BOSS 9'2 V Plow and look into getting one truck, say a 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel, ext. cab, year 2000 or newer, under $20K that's in good shape and use it as my main truck for getting around and for work?

I need a truck that can haul but also gets good mileage...say at least 15mpg to 20mpg or more (if I can such a thing! )

Also, how does that "part time" vechile thing work? That might help me reduce my insurance enough to justify keeping the S-10 & 3500HD. I like having two trucks...one small but mighty for driving and then "the beast" for working, but right now I want to save every penny I can for school and better time saving equipment, like say a TORO dingo! What would you do if you were me? Thanks again for your input