Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2006, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ratchet tie down straps

I use the standard 2" wide ratchet tie downs for our open trailer. The problem is the nylon seems to wear out before the ratchet. Does anyone know where you can buy the nylon strapping without the hooks and ratchet? Thanks Matt
Old 02-20-2006, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Matt, I use the same 2in straps. The problem is finding someone that can sew the hooks back onto the straps so that you retain the original load rateing. I have found strap material at the flea markets but havent found anyone with the proper equipment to sew the hooks onto the strap. Also, the straps with hooks I normally buy are usually way to long. I cut them off to the lenght I need which usually leaves enough material to make another strap. I have also found 10'000 lb 2 inch straps, with rachets, at Lowe's for $12 a set. I usually buy several at a time when they are on sale. I think it would be hard to buy the material and then pay someone to sew the hooks on for that price. Plus, you can be sure of the final weight rating and not rely on someone's guess that the thread they used is strong enough.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmacsek
I use the standard 2" wide ratchet tie downs for our open trailer. The problem is the nylon seems to wear out before the ratchet. Does anyone know where you can buy the nylon strapping without the hooks and ratchet? Thanks Matt
Matt, my dealer Frank Rymon & Sons sells them separately. Rte 31 south over here in Washington.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
Matt, my dealer Frank Rymon & Sons sells them separately. Rte 31 south over here in Washington.
Thanks for the replies. Rod, Can I get directions from 78 or 57 which ever is more convenient? My wife has a sewing machine that can sew canvas and up to 5 layers of denim. I don't have anything scientific but her sewing held up better than the factory. Thanks again for the quick replies. Matt
Old 02-20-2006, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll send ya a pm
Old 02-20-2006, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmacsek
Thanks for the replies. Rod, Can I get directions from 78 or 57 which ever is more convenient? My wife has a sewing machine that can sew canvas and up to 5 layers of denim. I don't have anything scientific but her sewing held up better than the factory. Thanks again for the quick replies. Matt
You can also find the straps seperate at Tractor Supply and Northern Tool

I am not going to doubt you wifes sewing ability, But I am not going to risk a $5-10,000 piece of equipment just to save a couple of bucks.

As for the machine sewing thru the strap material, maybe, but my local shoe repairman wont sew the straps on his industrial machines. Wether he can or not I dont know, just that he wont.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

do the straps need to each be able to support the load it's carying? what i mean is, say you have an 800 pound mower and you use 4 - 200 lb. straps to tie it down, would this work or is it risking damage?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It will hold an Exmark 48" WB on an open trailer. The straps go over the drive tires and I have ring mounts in the trailer floor. I know there is always a first but in 5 years I never had a problem with this setup. The thickness of the strap is not as thick as the 10,000 lb straps we are probably thinking about. I bought these straps at Northern. They are the same thickness as a fastrap. I use one of them, fastrap, to secure a Scag Tiger Cub in the enclosed trailer. It has yet to move and I had to make a few unexpected FAST stops. Matt
Old 02-21-2006, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try northen tool! They should have what you are looking for!