Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2006, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Member

reply from hardcharger.

so far no problem with the local town government, its real laid back town, only 20% of customers want the 100.00 vacum deal i guess they think a big pile on the curb looks bad, im all for that, im wonderimg what the best response to the pisees who are angry ,i know these folks and they can really damage a good rep i have already, thats wats eatin me, but money is nice too. i wanna continue to be a nice guy, but i dont know,
Old 02-21-2006, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I guess it also depends on if you want to do future work there and how bad they can "really" hurt your rep....or not. I am far from one that buckles under to anyone, but you also need to look at the whole picture. What that answer is, only you really can determine.

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...
Old 02-21-2006, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would drop my price 10 bucks and tell them to go f*ck themselves if they want the work they need to get off there phones and get to work. you are showing good busness tactics. good servce good rate. no need for you to feel bad. and anytime you can bait new clients in at this time of year and make a little bill money, you are ahead of the game. in the middle of winter if you can work enough to pay the bills and get good leads for the next year you are gold. and the guy that called you are probably mad because some of there customers used you or there costomers fussed about there price after seeing you sign. keep the industry honest. we are here to make a good living not get rich quick. the ones here that want to get rich now so they can be lazy later are the ones that make people afraid of professinal services. and get alot of our work taken over by the neibors kids
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 02-21-2006, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well they're already pissed off, so why back down now? All you did was think of a better idea and market it in a way that bucks the trend for the area. If you do good work for a fair price they can't really hurt you. And nobody really has the time to promote someone else's bad rep. In a few weeks everyone will be busy and this will be forgotten.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:32 AM
LawnSite Member

It they spend all their time trying damage your rep, they will do more damage to their own. A year from now most of the people they bad mouthed you to won't remember your name, but they will remember the bad attitude contractor that did nothing but talk down the competition.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I put up a sign of mine, then the only person I want to call me concerning the removal of said sign would be the owner of the property on which the sign has been placed. Anyone else calls, I would ask them their name and then remember it so if something happens to the sign, I would know whom to suspect.

As for what I think of those guys calling you, I'll keep a tight lip on it because I'm about to have an attack of tourettes syndrome lol !
But definitely write down the phone number from where they called you someplace, might need the info later.

Last edited by topsites; 02-21-2006 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The other lawn people that called you are probably just mad because their customers came to you because you can offer them a better deal! What ever works for you, do it! If a contractor badmouths all of his competition, He is selling a bad image to himself and his own business which may bite him in the future! If you are getting customers and making money to pay the bills, stick with it!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Somehow, I think your lowballing. Sure, your making money, but obviously, your price is low enough to really piss off your competition.

I would ask them when they call why they're pissed off. I'd bet you all of them say your low price.

Sure, you say your making money. But, say the going rate is $100, and your charging almost half of that, you bet you'd piss other LCO's off. Plus, your leaving money on the table.

Figure out the going rate, and stick near that.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980