Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2006, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tilling and Older Troy Built questions...

Well I was given an 83 Troy Built "Horse" model. Its 7hp and the motor smokes. I'm considering putting a new motor on it and doing tilling in the spring. I've never done tilling commercially. But it could be a nice $$$ adder in april when I'm not doing anything else. I "don't" do raking or spring cleanups. Its a rear tine model. Can the vibration get tiring after doing it all day?
Old 02-16-2006, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Troybilt

I have tilled gardens since 1970 I started with a new 5hp front tine craftsman and used it for years or until 1983 when I bought the 7 hp. Troybilt horse. To answer your Question The front tine beat you up pretty good . The Troybilt will if you do not know how to use it. After you get on to it and learn about the different soils and how to handle them they are a breeze to run.
Older troybilts are a hell of a good machine,tough as nails, do a excellent job.
When the Tecumseh wears out put a new 8 horse briggs on and go again. They just get better with more power. Hope this helps.
Oh yea I charge between .75 and a dollar a minute. You earn it. Sounds high but they are a ground engaging piece of equipment.

Enjoy I find it to be fun. Sic. isn't it?
us flag
Old 02-16-2006, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger351w
Older troybilts are a hell of a good machine,tough as nails, do a excellent job.
I looked at an older horse with a bad motor. Wanted $225 for the frame. Are parts still available for them Ranger? Where you get yours?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I found mine at the local transfer station(dump) in the scrap metal pile.
The recoil spring had broken

Wasn't there some kind of recondition program on those for 1/2 price of a new one?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.buymtdonline.com/webapp/w...10101_15601_-1

If you are looking for parts for a Troy Bilt anything, the MTD site will have it available to purchace. (MTD owns Troy Bilt now) All you need is your model number and you should be able to pull up the schematic and pick the parts you need. They are a little high sometimes, but many times you would pay the same price from a dealer since they have to order them from the same place, plus this way the parts are delievered to your door!

(click on the Illustrated parts index)
Old 02-22-2006, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Troybilt motor replacement

Sorry not to get back sooner but we were on vacation.
To answer your question the 6 hp techumse wore out and I replaced it with a 8 hp Techumseh for 200.00 from SMALL ENGINE WAREHOUSE . They often have good deals on motors and you can buy them on sale. the book will tell you what they interchange with. I can get the number you need off the motor for a Techumseh replacement. Briggs also has replacement motors for them.As far as rebuild goes Troy bilt did offer a total refurb. for half price but who knows about MTD. As stated in above post the MTD web site will probably tell you. The last time I looked for parts the tiller I have is obsolete and parts were hard to get. Good luck.

A.S.D.S. Mowing
Old 02-23-2006, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A dealer told me the biggest models are the exact models Troy Built made for years. But I don't know what hp models that starts out as.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Tough machine.

Thats good to know tinkerer. Mine has a LOT of hours and had no problems other than the motor. I am afraid the helical drive will go out and I will not be able to get parts. I just changed the belt last year. Not bad for a 23 year old machine used every year.

A.S.D.S. Mowing