Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2006, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancerz
Thanks for the reply splicer but don't you have that backwards? The manufacturers all show low voltage hooking up in a parallel scheme which is why I wondered about wiring them in series. (I figured it would give it a constant flow)
Attachment 51197
Attachment 51198
I realize the examples are for speaker but it workings are the same.
I stand corrected in that the voltage is 12 volts not 24, I confused it with my transformer from my garden railroad. Apologies. As for being in series yes I did reverse that as well. It is in parallel. I was pretty distracted when typing.

When I wired my Malibu low voltage lighting all that was need was to run the 12 gauge low voltage wire zip cord in the trench and each individual light just clipped to the zip wire. The lights could be spaced as close or as far as needed. That is why off the top of my head said in series, that is how it appears when in reality it is parallel. Sorry for the inconvienence and i will refrain from any more rushed posts.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is true, my bad. The lamps still could not handle the load. If you have 100 watts on a circuit you would have a load over 8 amps and the lamps could not handle the load and therefore, one would burn out pretty fast and kill the circuit.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 02-27-2006, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks mgm
I knew if one burned out they would all go out, (like old xmas tree lights) but that's all I could imagine happening and was wondering if that's the only problem one would run into. I believe you answered my question. (it will work either way)
The up side is you only have to connect 2 wires together rather than 3 when connecting parallel. I just thought it was funny that it's not mentioned anywhere. Running it as the mfg. states (parallel) puts a constant current on the feed wire , putting it in series the current needs to go through each filament before going to the next light...that's where I thought a problem might raise it's ugly head (the filaments are definitely not 12 or 14 gage) I'm not sure if there's enough current to light the rest of them so they all have the same brightness.
Thanks
wiring 101 is concluded.

Last edited by sundancerz; 02-27-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Nightscapespaul- great web site ! I have a question about your low voltage systems- are you using any electronic solid state low voltage transformers ?
I have been using them in limited applications in my landscape and indoor systems for about 5 years - The brand I use is WAC -max wattage is only 150watts , the only draw back is electrical noise on the 120 volt system - hence my use is limited. I have not found any one in our area using them except in commercial lighting .
Old 02-27-2006, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

MGM, thank you for your comments on my site. I use the Kichler Pro Series transformers. I know about the WAC transformers that you are talking about but I can't see a real use for them in my applications.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes