Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2001, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering how you sell weed control to your full service clients? I service tall fescue for the most part, and some bermuda. I sell 2 apps of preemergence and average spraying for weeds 4 times per year. I usually have to spot treat weeds in the lawn, and spray R-UP as needed to control weeds in beds. I just bought my sprayer late last spring, and I'm getting more requests for weed control.
How many times per year do you spray?
Thanks, Bill Craig
Old 04-24-2001, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I do what is needed per property. Each client will have different needs and budgets, and desires. I offer a basic 4 step all the way to a monthly service for the really hard to please customers. Here in Arkansas, we have fescue, bluegrass, bermuda and zoysia lawns. All must be treated differently at different times! Dave
Old 04-28-2001, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bill...

I offer the following services;

1- Ornamental bed and curb weed control. This service is performed in conjuction with weekly mowing operations. Either spraying or hand pulling (larger) weeds. Price is set per visit.

2- In-turf post-emergent weed control. This service is performed in spring and fall. Price is based on per-gallon use. I don't spray in the 85+ degree weather (from June thru August)as to not damage the fescue.

3- In-turf pre-emergent weed control. This service is two applications of weed pre-m in the early spring, with a little fertilizer. Priced per pound.

Old 04-30-2001, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I appreciate your response. What I'm having trouble with is this. When a potential client calls me for a quote, I know how many times per year I need to mow, how many fert apps. to sell, but if I don't sell enough weed control I don't want to have to come up mid season and have to try to get more money to apply additional herbicide, and might even be expected to eat the cost if I haven't controlled the weeds in the turf with the apps that I sold in the initial bid. Being new to spraying I want to appear professional and knowledgable, but to tell the truth, I'm guessing at how many apps of herbicide to sell.
Thanks Bill Craig
Old 05-09-2001, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bill...

I've always tell my clients that we cut X amount of times, apply X pounds of Fert, etc. etc, however POST weed control is a big unknown from year to year. I explain it to them in this way; "I might use 4 gallons one year and the next use 40 gallons, so if I were to include POST weed control in the turf in the agreement, which amount do you think I'm going to factor in? I think it's only fair to YOU to bill you for what I actually use, not what I may use." It always goes over well when I put it that way.
Old 05-10-2001, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to get certified before you get started applicating. In our state I must carry an individual license. and a business app. license and insurance. Many people make the mistake of doing without a license. It carries some nasty fines. You can't even apply round-up with out a license. If your competition sees you applying without one they will be the first to "blow the whistle". Just some friendly advise.
Old 05-10-2001, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

smburgess,
Great response. I don't know why I haven't considered your approach.

Lawn GOD,
What about my post lead you to believe that I may not be certified? I've had my pesticide application certification for two years.
Take care and thanks, Bill