Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2001, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't think that any successful business person hasn't had days just like yours, and thoughts just like yours. Because they have.

There's another saying out there 'if it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger.' I don't think this applies to everyone in business, but for the ones that it does, they are more likely walking down the road to success. Keep fightin'.

Old 05-09-2001, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We are all still learning. Not one person here has all the answers. Keep fighting.

I know I do something everyday that makes a learning experience. I'm starting to get tired of learning experiences. lol
Old 05-09-2001, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have this in front of my Desk:

"When things go wrong, as they sometimes will....When the road you're trudging seems all uphill, ....When the funds are low and the debts are high, ...And you want to smile, but you have to sigh ...When care is pressing you down a bit - Rest if you must, but don't you quit"

"Success is failure turned inside out--So stick to the fight when your hardest hit-It's when thinds seem worst that you musn't quit"

You have a great attitude .....it will be tough .....even seem impossible ....then by stroke of faith ....it will come together .....this is ONLY true with a positive fresh attitude ....so you have one up on a lot of people

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Old 05-10-2001, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Been There - Done That

EARTHWORK II
I feel for you because, for one: I am new too and am struggling. two: I am attracting the wrong customers.
Before starting this business, I was in sales and marketing. Just like starting any business, the ladder is steep. The road is rough. The customers are lame.
That's the dues to owning a business.
As you get to know more people, provide an honest service at a fair price, the ladder will become less steep. It takes many months to know people and earn the trust of people.
When I was in Business to Business sales, I met hundreds of small business owners. I interview many of them and found a common thread among all. No matter what the business, the answer to my question "how did you get started?". "I struggled at the beginning. It took me a few years to get started" they would tell me.
In this industry, most start off small and work on the side. A lot of them would work for someone else and get exposure and take on weekend or after hour jobs. Many work for or took over the business from their fathers. I found it rare that people start like me and you. Cold Turkey. We woke up one morning and said "I think that I will start a Landscaping Business." That's the hardest way. But stick with it. The rewards are at the top of that ladder.
I'm in the same boat.
Many great motivational researches agree. "If you want to be the best, then find out how they do it and become that person."
My advice is keep your fixed cost to a minimum, until you can justify.
Mine is about $400.00 a month.
Work alone until you can take on a trusted employee. Payroll is the GREATEST expense for ANY company.
Keep reading and networking.
Good Luck
Kurt