Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-09-2006, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Landscaper - working radius?

I do completely landscaping. No lawn maintenance whatsoever. So many of my jobs have a lot of value in them. My question is...what kind of working radius do most landscapers try to keep? I drive as far as 45 minutes away from my house to work on jobs. I was thinking of limiting my radius and spending more money advertising in a smaller area. Would this work?

The amount of time and money that I spend traveling I, if I spent the some of the money I spend on travel time on more advertising in a smaller area. I think I would get more name recognition...grow faster...but I wouldn't be able to reach as many potential customers.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone went from taking jobs on a larger working radius to a smaller one? As a smaller company I feel I could fill my schedule with a smaller working radius...it would just take a larger advertising commitment....but I think it would pay off better dividends in the long run.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-09-2006, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would definitely target a smaller radius.. But also being a smaller co we wont turn down any jobs in a reasonable distance and I would say 45 min would be the tops.. Of course the customer does know but they do pay a lot higher price..We were actually at a job once and forgot the compactor (monday lol)and I decided just to rent one for the day then to drive all the way back to get mine..