Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2006, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Grain Alcohol

I am taking a class right now and I heard my instructor talking to some other students about how she spent all day in the college green house spraying grain alcohol as an insecticide. 70% alcohol, 30% water; stating, that this is the safest, most natural insecticide available. I'm curious what you guys think about this? I guess I would think that if you are applying directly to plant material, that the alcohol would burn the plants???? On the other hand, if they are widely using this in the greenhouse, then obviously it doesn't do this. Mostly just intrigued. Any thoughts/experience with this?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Green house is similar to interior plantscapeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpritch
I am taking a class right now and I heard my instructor talking to some other students about how she spent all day in the college green house spraying grain alcohol as an insecticide. 70% alcohol, 30% water; stating, that this is the safest, most natural insecticide available. I'm curious what you guys think about this? I guess I would think that if you are applying directly to plant material, that the alcohol would burn the plants???? On the other hand, if they are widely using this in the greenhouse, then obviously it doesn't do this. Mostly just intrigued. Any thoughts/experience with this?
Burn isnt really a problem in a controled enviroment..........dont try to use a mix like that in a landscape if it doesnt come on a labled product......the fines will make your "French Tips" fall off.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I wasn't planning on it. I'm not licensed to apply pesticides so I can't use anything as a herbicide or pesticide, organic or not. I was more just interested if anyone has tried this? I might try this in my own yard, but won't ever use this on a customer's premise.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up just an opionion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpritch
I wasn't planning on it. I'm not licensed to apply pesticides so I can't use anything as a herbicide or pesticide, organic or not. I was more just interested if anyone has tried this? I might try this in my own yard, but won't ever use this on a customer's premise.
Thats alot of active ingrediants,....say if I was spraying a cherry tree?[ for scale]...I'd keep that spray on the trunk, stems and stalks.........Maybe even mature foliage, but not newly opening buds or flowers......or a hemlock for mites.......with a very fine spray, and those trees in the shade as compared to those in Full Sun...ouch?.........In green houses I'd think they were doin Tropical plants [ plants with thick, leathery or waxy leaves........often while doin Interior Plant Care, after a spray like that we'd wrap the plant in Burlap to reduce the effects of light and contain the odor, sort of like fumigating a house [ they wrap some of those too]....so the insects cant escape.........for potted plants I think it may be used as a soil drench, as things often develop from the "Soiless mix" being wet so often. [ Fungus Knats].....hope this helps, regards Saxon
Old 03-12-2006, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

grain alcohal is natural? or just the water?