Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2006, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aerating again..

Hi agaain I posted my first thread a few days ago asking about aerating on a fairly large complex but now it seems everybody and their grandmother is asking me about aerating i've never aerated before only dethatched any help on pricing and things to beware of would be very helpful along with possibly over seeding advice and when and what type of fertilizer to use afterwards possibly a 12-12-12 I am lisenced to apply all fertilizer just never realy overseeded or aerated before any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The best time to do core aeration is in the fall, but it can be done in the spring.

For the overseeding, on the bag of seed there will be some recommended amounts to use per 1000 sf. You can overseed in the spring,but it will not get a good enough root system and thwe summer heat and humidity will burn it up. I have overseeded in the early spring and used a good starter fertilizer to help with the promotion of healthy roots.

what to watch out for:
Make sure they do not have a sprinkler system. If they do the heads will need to be marked so you do not tear them up.
I will mark the heads for the hourly charge, but that is for my regular customers, the others must sign a waiver for damages( no signee no workee!!).
Also look out for tree roots above and just below the surface...
Old 03-06-2006, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How soon to you apply the starter dertilizer right after the application?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivefaster35
How soon to you apply the starter dertilizer right after the application?
Its best to apply the starter according to the directions on the bag. There are different types of fertilizer some could hurt the new grass or if applied too early even inhibit germination. Check the directions, but the starter we use is usually put down a few days after germination and again about two weeks after that. Then start a regular fert prg.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what would be the best way to apply the seed and just curious i know we all have differnt types of grass cool season warm season and what not but what kind do you use and suggest for a cool season grass I'm thinkin 75% Improved Ky Bluegrass and 25% Fine leaf Perennial Ryegrass but i'm just not sure what will fare best with overseeding in the Spring any help would be awsome-thanks
Old 03-10-2006, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We overseed and rennovate in Spring mostly and guarantee our work or money back. i have redone the work only once in 7 years. We aerate 4 tiems seed 8# per 1,000 sq feet, apply 16-16-16 fert gypsum for our clya sils in our area and leave. we start april 1st and do until may june 1st. on overseeding 81 mew plugs per sq yard Will come up guaranteed , on rennovation 300 new plugs per sq yard develop. Most of my customers after 1 year on a renovation compalin they have ot cut thier grass twice a week instead of the once b4
Old 03-11-2006, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraft
We overseed and rennovate in Spring mostly and guarantee our work or money back. i have redone the work only once in 7 years. We aerate 4 tiems seed 8# per 1,000 sq feet, apply 16-16-16 fert gypsum for our clya sils in our area and leave. we start april 1st and do until may june 1st. on overseeding 81 mew plugs per sq yard Will come up guaranteed , on rennovation 300 new plugs per sq yard develop. Most of my customers after 1 year on a renovation compalin they have ot cut thier grass twice a week instead of the once b4

Over seeding / renovating at 8 lbs per 1000 sqft
Old 03-13-2006, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We Overseed At Appr 3 Lbs Per 1000 Sq Feet And 8 Lbs Per 1000 On A Rennovation It Has Worked Well For 8 Years And We Guarantee Our Seed Jobs Or Your Money Back All Of It. We Have Never Refunded Money But Have Gone Back A Few Times To Spot Seed Areas. The Customer Needs To Be Educated On Waht Seeding Does And How Long It Takes To Reach The Desired Effect