Register free!

Old 01-29-2006, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Angry What a pain...

I have tried to get approval to open a small nursery/stone yard here. Its a great idea, I believe, since all our suppliers are spread out. My problem has with the city. They wanted $7k to tell me my plan was rejected at a rezoning hearing. $7k!!! I pulled my application before the meeting. I found out my plan was denied in a pre-plan submittal meeting. Who knows? Maybe i can find a new locale this year.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Same bull$#t here, seems like the only place around here zoned for a nursery / bulk yard is out in the middle of nowhere! I have a lot zoned industrial and the town is so hard to deal with its ridiculous.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I believe in my method: Its' my property, you ain't gonna tell me what to do with it. I own it fair and square. I have 2 acres here. but need a dump site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Full time college student> Landscape Design and Construction @ Kent State Salem

Help save planet Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!
Old 03-07-2006, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

The key with the town is to play dumb. I used to be a manager at a garden center/nursery and we constructed all these nice cedar shade trellises and display areas. When spring comes you dont have time to submit an application, just build it. So the town called us out on it..."oh really you need to apply to put up shade trellises, how were we supposed to know?" BS, after they realized the place looked better and brought in more people we never heard about it again.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Is it really yours?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise Landscapes
I believe in my method: Its' my property, you ain't gonna tell me what to do with it. I own it fair and square. I have 2 acres here. but need a dump site.

Skip a few tax payments and then see if it is still yours. Taxes insure that no one ever owns damn thing. I even have to pay taxes on my dog!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1304
Skip a few tax payments and then see if it is still yours. Taxes insure that no one ever owns damn thing. I even have to pay taxes on my dog!!!
true, but I'm in regards of zoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Full time college student> Landscape Design and Construction @ Kent State Salem

Help save planet Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!
Old 03-10-2006, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

We are having the same problem we bought a peice of land last year in downingtown, Pa and started doing work on the property. It was overgrown and had piles of debris after many years of dumping. We brought in dumpsters we removed 20, 40-yard containers of railroad ties and probably another 10-15 dumpsters of old used tires just buried in the dirt and debris. We did all of this with the proper permits and zoning hearings. As soon as we started to grade and put stone down for our bins the (DEP) Department of Enviormental Protetion and Soils & Conservation stepped in and Gave us a STOP work order. Now it has been since August 05 and we are still meeting with engineers. and waiting for the DEP to look over our plans.
Malvern, Pa 19355
610-590-0150
---------------------------------------------------

Some people are like Slinkies--- Not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of steps.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Ah yes........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imulchmore
We are having the same problem we bought a peice of land last year in downingtown, Pa and started doing work on the property. It was overgrown and had piles of debris after many years of dumping. We brought in dumpsters we removed 20, 40-yard containers of railroad ties and probably another 10-15 dumpsters of old used tires just buried in the dirt and debris. We did all of this with the proper permits and zoning hearings. As soon as we started to grade and put stone down for our bins the (DEP) Department of Enviormental Protetion and Soils & Conservation stepped in and Gave us a STOP work order. Now it has been since August 05 and we are still meeting with engineers. and waiting for the DEP to look over our plans.
Nothing like waiting on the gov't. They figure they have more $$$ than you and can wait you out until you give up. Evidentially, a small landscape supplier will not give them the tax rev they want. It all comes down to a dollar......