Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2006, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

bulck mulch delivery dates

For you guys who buy mulch wholesale and stock pile it, when do you get the mulch delivered?

Is it cheaper to get it delivered during the winter months? How long does mulch usually stay fresh for?

What price could I expect to pay for 160-240 yrds of dark pine? I am in Mass. Mulch retails here around $30-35 per yard. I'd like to get it wholsale around $9-15 /yard.

I am fed up with my retail mulch supplier who charges me $32/per yard knowing that I am going to be buying 150-200 yards from him. This spring I will have to suck it up and continue going to him, but I am planning ahead for next spring. Any input would be great.

Are some skid steers better for loading then others? Like the 773 w/ vertical lift, or new hollands?
Old 03-09-2006, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I buy mine by the trailer load (50-60 yards depending on how wet it is), runs around $ 14/yard. Price did go up over a dollar this year from last, & that is COD or credit card. I could set up an account but it would cost more. there is ussually plenty extra (they give you a solid yard +), not like the garden center crap where they scoop into the pile, then shake the bucket to fluff it up. Definalty the way to go before we moved I was in your shoes, it is much nicer to come back from working & see a fresh pile ready for next weeks work vs. driving all over & paying employees to sit around. BTW about a 3 week lead time for delivery for my supplier.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

mike how much do you resell it for?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why get your own for that small amount

Rosolar - it doesn't sound like you are a supply yard, rather a landscaper looking to save some money. For a couple hundred yards of mulch will you be able to justify having a loader available to load yourself? You should be able to find a wholesale yard in Mass that will sell to you somewhere between manufacturer cost and retail. We sell a lot of mulch at our yard to landscapers, and some probably feel like you do unfortunately, but we figure it costs us at least 5 bucks a yard for loader and overhead required to be able to stockpile and load. We load with full sized machines - skid steers for 1/2 yards, backhoes with 1 yard buckets, and a loader for larger amounts. No skimping here.

If you get the mulch too early (before March) it will fade before long. Plus, some mulches grind differently depending upon the weather. If it is really cold during the grind or if its colored during cold periods up north, you will have trouble with consistency. There is usually no real savings for loading up early.

There are plenty of suppliers who will sell you loads direct to cut out the middlemen. Make sure you count the yardage and get consistent material if you choose that route. BTW, I don't think you'll find 'real' pine bark for the price range of $9-15. At least around here (southern CT) $15 is the going rate for eco-mulch (ground up stumps and brush that looks pretty brown if you let it sit for a year or two). Freight considerations could be $9-15 per yard depending upon where it comes from. If you do get a low price from a direct supplier it will probably be some Pine mixed with the eco-type mulch. If it is cheap and smells good it probably has some Spruce mixed in with it to add fragrance.

Good luck
Old 03-12-2006, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Already got mine.........was delivered Friday. I get mine by the tractor-trailer load (like most guys on the site). I'm not sure about the 'over the winter' thing. I don't get mine then because I can always use the extra room to park trucks, or trailers, or tractors or ????

Chris

Meadowbrook Landscaping
Dover, PA

'Beautifying the environment one landscape at a time'

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all"
Old 03-12-2006, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSNursery
Rosolar - it doesn't sound like you are a supply yard, rather a landscaper looking to save some money. For a couple hundred yards of mulch will you be able to justify having a loader available to load yourself? You should be able to find a wholesale yard in Mass that will sell to you somewhere between manufacturer cost and retail. We sell a lot of mulch at our yard to landscapers, and some probably feel like you do unfortunately, but we figure it costs us at least 5 bucks a yard for loader and overhead required to be able to stockpile and load. We load with full sized machines - skid steers for 1/2 yards, backhoes with 1 yard buckets, and a loader for larger amounts. No skimping here.

If you get the mulch too early (before March) it will fade before long. Plus, some mulches grind differently depending upon the weather. If it is really cold during the grind or if its colored during cold periods up north, you will have trouble with consistency. There is usually no real savings for loading up early.

There are plenty of suppliers who will sell you loads direct to cut out the middlemen. Make sure you count the yardage and get consistent material if you choose that route. BTW, I don't think you'll find 'real' pine bark for the price range of $9-15. At least around here (southern CT) $15 is the going rate for eco-mulch (ground up stumps and brush that looks pretty brown if you let it sit for a year or two). Freight considerations could be $9-15 per yard depending upon where it comes from. If you do get a low price from a direct supplier it will probably be some Pine mixed with the eco-type mulch. If it is cheap and smells good it probably has some Spruce mixed in with it to add fragrance.

Good luck
im not sure where you get your bulk from but i just went too ECR (EASTERN CONNECTICUT RECYCLING) IN DANIELSON CT
AND BOY DO THEY HAVE A NICE FACILITY,I HIGHLY RECOMEND ANY OF YOU GUYS IN NEWENGLAND TO CHECK THESE GUYS OUT.I STOPPED INTO THERE PLACE LAST FRIDAY AND STAYED AND WATCHED THEM FOR OVER AN HOUR AND ALL THEY HAD GOING THREW THE MACHINE WAS PINE LOGS ,I DIDNT GET THE MAKE OF THE MACHINE THEY USED BUT THE QUALITY IS THE BEST I HAVE SEEN.THEY HAVE BLACK ,RED ,HEMLOCK,BROWN ,GREY ,MAROON ETC..THE PRICES WERE $15.00 PER YARD PICKED UP IN BULK,OR FOR 75 TO 100 YARD LOADS DELIVERED WERE $22.00 PER YARD .HIGHLY RECOMEND THESE GUYS ..PHONE # IS - 1-860-428-9911
Old 03-14-2006, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am a landscape contractor. I also have two Bobcats for snow work (snow bought & paid for them) that other than a loading (mulch) or small job do nothing in the summer. Our shop/home is on 9 acres so storage isn't an issue/cost either (bus pays same rent to me). So for me the extra $ is just extra $ in my pocket, except for the few cents for fuel, oh wait that would of been more if I drove to the garden center + would have paid the guys to sit in the truck for an hour, while we waiteed to get loaded. If you have the space find a cheap tractor or skid & stock it your self.